• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination issue with a couple of varieties.

I’ve typically not had any significant problems with seed germination in the past. This year I’ve experienced two impossible to germinate varieties, Bonda Ma Jacques and Harold’s St. Barts. Two restarts in my usual germination medium and now in wet paper towel/ziplock/heat mat for over a month. Nothing! I’ve gone thru every single seed that was supplied so it’s not a question of maybe a few bad ones in the batch. Really wanted to grow these two but it’s apparent that it’s not going to happen this year. Both were purchased from very reputable, often mentioned vendors that are used by many on THP (do not wish to mention by name). Comments and experiences from the board concerning these two types would be very much appreciated. TIA.

Just let your vendor know they will make good !
or maybe just down to some varieties being harder to get going than others? I've had an issue with some Pimenta De Neydes, that became personal.....but it makes it all the more pleasurable when they do come through, and i gain a win! Mother nature can mess with your mind sometimes i guess!? :)

I agree with nee some varieties are more difficult then others. For example I couldnt get ANY chocolate habs to sprout but all my other super hots sprouted within a week!

Reactions: nee
Man, I had a terrible time trying to get the Bonda Ma Jaques to germinate and got NOTHING! I think it is the type or something. I have no more seeds left to try either. Maybe next year I will give it a go again.

Reactions: nee
I tried germinating about 15 Tabasco seeds I got from a very reputable vendor. I got exactly 1 seedling out of the batch. I didn't have nearly that kind of problem with my other varieties. I say chalk it up to a bad batch. You never know what could have happened to the seeds from the time they were put in the package and the time you opened them

Back