• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination observations

I have had some seeds germinate very quickly and others in the same environment go slowly or not at all. I've seen others post similar comments so, I know I'm not alone in this.
I have a heat mat set up in the house to provide a fairly steady heat of about 83F to 87F. Most times the seeds sprout in less than a week. I have several times had some go for over 3 weeks to as much as 4 with no germination. I then carried them out to the greenhouse and left them on the bench where they cool to maybe 60F at night then if it's sunny 85F to 90F in the daytime. After just a few days of this heat cool cycle, they have sprouted with very high germ rates.
I realize this is not even close to a scientific test but it sure seems to be more than coincidence. Might be worth a try for some of the stubborn seeds.

Yeah, you would think fluctuating temps would be alright or even better because thats what happens in any climate. Peppers in general would have died off hundreds or thousands of years ago if they absolutely needed a constant temp to germinate. I've given up on some seeds in damp paper towels and left them in my cold basement. A week or so later I opened the bags just for the heck of it before I threw them out to find more sprouts.

Being new to pepper growing but having worked in the woods for the last 40 years I'd have to say that nature will certainly take it's course.

I started my mear 30 seeds and got 90% (beginners luck) trying to maintain heat. Then jammed 3 new seeds in to replace the ones that failed and totally took it off the heat because that's what I've read here that once they're sprouted they like cooler temps. Hooks on those three were up in 6 days.

It's definately not rocket science with mother nature and who knows for sure the viability of any seed, but it's all great info here from those much more experienced than I.

I've also noticed that sometimes if you let a pot dry out way past what you'd think was cool , then water it,in a day or so stuff I thaught was history sprouts.

Another rule is IF you put replacement seeds in a cell ALL the old seeds will sprout along with the new ones. :lol:
Happens every time except with Rare or Hard To get stuff and anything you have 5 or less seeds for and really,really , really , wanted to grow.

every seed is an individual. not just every strain. this seems to be everyones least favorite stage of growing. i believe that only a certain amount is science , the rest is luck. most years my germination rate in pretty ok. last year it kinda sucked compartively.this year i got an early start with good success but now i am struggling and praying for the 2 and a half weeks to go by for outside time. that's when it all comes together. up until then , all bets are off. good luck.

Another thing is that if all of your seeds germinate 100%,and are supposed to be something you never heard of , they'll end up being called by the supplier as crosses and or not what they were supposed to be-

Especially if they were supposed to be something hard to come by or a variety that is supposed to be common to only one place (wally world anaheims or similar peppers-Ah I mean from China).
For instance ,stuff like the RARE Chinese Licorice pepper,all I ever saw podded out weren't what they were supposed to be...not even close after 3 generations of isolation,always the same thing.

I always leave my trays off to the side in the shadehouse after I have potted up the main lot. The stragglers keep popping up for weeks afterwards. It all good if you have the room to just let them do their own thing.

I consider myself new to the germination processing, but I also agree on the inconsistant sprouting behavior of seeds. It's all good my friend.

Back