• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination Question - NJA India Varieties

How's everyone doing with these? Most germinated OK, but I'm having a horrible time with the one I was most excited about: Kanthari (0 for 5 after 17 days). Chot is a pain in the ass too. :) Only 1 popped up. THe other varieties have been coming up OK such as Mundu, Byadgi, Peri Peri, Dandicutt, etc.

I re-sowed some more Kanthari. I'm just hoping for ONE plant to be able to generate more seed in the future. :)

Chris

I have gotten at least 1 plant of all of them. The Kanthari sprout 2 out of 4 for me. First one took about 11 days I think. I also only got 1 out of 4 on the Chot. I still have 3 seeds left of the Kanthari that I could send up to you if those don't work out for you. If they germinate at the same rate as they did for me, that should give you your 1 plant.

Good luck!
jacob

Thanks for the info Jacob. I'm not giving up yet. The seeds definitely look viable. Maybe they just aren't the easiest to germinate. All you need is one. :) I"m usually pretty good at that. I'll update in a couple weeks. I look forward to these plants.

Chris

Bumping this up. Did anyone get a healthy plant of Chot Mensinakai or Kanthari? The pictures I saw of dried pods looked tasty, but I didn't end up getting any seeds this year. I'm wondering if they are worth trying to add to my garden next year.

Yes, with some effort I did. I'm finding Kanthari to be a very slow growing variety. I'm doubtful I'll get any pods on it which is bad news as I wanted to save seed. Chot was hard to germinate, but it's doing well now. I'll do a taste test if I get some ripe ones and report back. :)

Chris

The kanthari is very slow growing but flowering now. I have a few pods on the chot. Nothing ripe though.

jacob

Thanks for the reports. Glad they're up and growing and I'm looking forward to hearing more later on. I would really like to add a light colored birds eye chili to my garden next year. I can only recall seeing Kanthari and Prik Dae Khao, neither of which are easy to find. Anybody know of something else along those lines?

All I could get to transplant stage was 1 Chot and 1 Kanthari. They're in the ground now, but I don't think I'll get any mature pods b4 frost. One can always hope though. :pray:

Back