• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination question

Once you get the seed to sprout, is it better to use CFL as opposed to sunlight? I ask because I've had tiny little seedlings get roasted by sunlight in the past because I can't check on them/wet them down every couple of hours because I'm away for a good portion of the day.

Well I suppose out in nature they get direct sunlight and live..but my experience is..I kill them like that :)
I use artificial lighting for a while and would recommend it.

Once you get the seed to sprout, is it better to use CFL as opposed to sunlight? I ask because I've had tiny little seedlings get roasted by sunlight in the past because I can't check on them/wet them down every couple of hours because I'm away for a good portion of the day.
No, not if it is warm enough outside. If they are drying out in even two days, you have the wrong media or am watering them incorrectly.

Mike

i like to keep them under CFL for about a month. then harden the plants by giving them a little sunlight for a whole week. as the days progress, give them more and more time in the sun until they are able to stay outside all day. and yes, depending on where you live, you need to feed them properly. i live in miami and ive been giving my plants water once a week, though as summer rolls in, ive notice that ive been feeding them twice a week

I use fluorescent light when they have there two true leaves, until they grow six true leaves. Then I pass them to a bigger plastic cup, and on the window for some sun light, I think the window glass prevents the heat from hitting the plants to hard. After that, they start growing huge, then I pass them to a 1 gallon pot and to direct sun and so on.

I put mine under the CFLs until they get about 10" to 12" tall anyways. All mine are about 18" plus right now and waiting for the frost nights to be behind me. Last season I lost about 100 superhots from early spring/summer frost. I will not make that same mistake again this year! When it's time to bring them out you go with what ya got. There will be a few small ones and as long as you harden them off right they'll be good to go. Sometimes you will see some of the runt's takeoff and become real good producers. The growing season is very short so make the most of it while you can!

Good luck!!

I'm in orlando and it's hot and humid... Once they germ in a coffee filter, into a 4 in pot, and right out in the sun... the strong will survive... :dance:

I'm in orlando and it's hot and humid... Once they germ in a coffee filter, into a 4 in pot, and right out in the sun... the strong will survive... :dance:
Thing is I don't have any humidity in my area YET (fingers-crossed) Our summers here are known to be oppressively humid sometimes :-(

Back