• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination Question

Hi there. I have just a quick question. Last year I startec my seeds in coffee filters in baggies, but due to the addiction, this year I am starting much more. So, I got all my seeds in coffee filters, misted so they are damp, then placed all of my seeds in filters inside 2 plastic storage bins. I then placed them in the bottom of my entertainment unit upside down on the lids so they are not sitting in any residual water from the misting I gave them. This all happened Saturday afternoon. So today I go to add a couple more varieties and when I opened the lid, I got a funny odor from inside the container. Is this possibly normal, as I am thinking it may just be from the residual pieces of pod material on the seeds. I had seen a slight tan color staining on a couple of the filters where i could see a tiny piece of the placenta. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

If you don't air out moist containers, they will start to smell of mildew. You have to keep the lid open a little bit for continued exchange of O2.

juanitos said:
i use a little chamomile tea in my mist so it usually smells pretty good in my germ containers lol.
I will second that and add some h2o2 for a day. The tea will kill fungus and h2o2 will take care of any bad bacteria.

Ok.  I will have to look into getting or finding some of this tea.  I did as filmost suggested, I opened the lids and sat on top on a slight angle.  I worked late today and just got home to find the filters relatively dry, so I immediately misted them and re-installed the lids, not snapping on, but rather just resting on top.  I will see how this does overnight.  Thanks for the tea ideas, and I will have to do some digging.

96strat said:
I will second that and add some h2o2 for a day. The tea will kill fungus and h2o2 will take care of any bad bacteria.
If I use the hydrogen peroxide, at what approximate ratio would I use it at?  Thank you.

Quick question when using paper towel method.Do you soak seeds before placing on paper towel or coffee filter?

I do the following:
1. Mist the base layer of paper towel or coffee filter
2. Place the seeds as needed or liked
3. Place the top layer over the seeds
4. Mist the whole thing
5. Place in baggie, or whatever container you choose

Back