• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination questions

I'm fairly new to growing hot peppers, minus the typical jalapeno's in the garden. I recently purchased a couple Hydrofarm Germination Stations and started some Bhut's, Peter Peppers, along with several others. During the germination process, the seedling mat was kept on constantly and the humidity dome was kept on with both holes closed as to keep the temperature up and the humidity in. Thus far all of the seeds are doing their thing, at this point I have two Peter Peppers which are about an inch tall, one with two leaves and the other still has the seed casing on it and the leaves have not yet come out. I placed these two Peter Peppers in a seperate germination station and put them under a T5 fluorescent light, still keeping the seedling heat mat on and the humidity dome on. OK, here's my question for you more experienced growers.

1. Should I still keep the seedling mat on constantly for the Peter Peppers along with the light or should I remove the seedling heat mat? Heat mat is on 24/7, light is on a 18 on 6 off cycle.
2. Should I keep the humidity dome on with all access holes closed or should I allow some fresh air into the dome?
3. Should I keep the seedling heat mat on 24/7 in the germination station which contain the seeds or should I turn it off at night to allow the temps to cool down to room temperature?
The guy at the hydro shop said to keep them (Peter Peppers)in the germination station with the air vents completely closed until they reach several inches and then start hardening them off. Does this seem right, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert but I would take the heat mat off completely depending on the temperature of the house and give the seedlings some fresh air.My house stays around 72 degrees and all of my seedlings did wonderful after I took the mat off. Be careful with the t5 light I put the light an inch over my plants and it burnt them to hell but a few smart people here told me to make sure they were getting good circulation and adjust the light three or four inches above the plants.I hope this helped you in some way.

I would remove the dome to avoid damp off.... which is where the seedlings just go limp and shrivel up and die from too much humidity, just incase u didn't know.

Be careful ....When I had the heat mat on 24\7 plus the dome on mine, the temp inside got scary hot.... 97F and would have got hotter if I didn't remove the dome... any thing over 85F is way too hot for germination and will actually slow germination. If u leave the mat on.... leave the dome off.... just watch them closer for when to water.

While I am no expert either, I absolutely agree. Make sure your little ones are getting fresh air to avoid damping off! If you are going to keep the dome on, keep your air holes open.

I keep my germinating seeds on 24/7 heat at 85-95 F and I get first germination in 6 days, the rest popping up throughout a week or two. If you sterilize your germination materials, you should not have to worry about damping off.

Back