• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination Station

Noob here......

Still about two weeks away from seed planting here in the upper part of Zone 5'

I'll be adding one more two tube light to my set up below. However, I see many pics here which have the entire grow area wrapped in mylar space blanket. I presume this is to reflect light and hold heat.

I have heat mats to control the soil temps; do I need the star trek set up??

I give up on adding a pic. Keep getting message that I cannot use that extension (flickr). So, here's a link:

Germination Station
5527210362_c02f7e925d.jpg

Howdy Padre! Looks like a nice set-up for a successful season. Everybody has their own tips and tricks for germinating. My advice is to experiment and see what works for you. I've been growing hot peppers for over a decade in the lamest most ghetto set-up and have had great success here in zone 6a! Just worry about the basics (warmth, water, light and food) and your babies will thrive. Good luck and happy growing!

~RedtailForester

Your germination station looks good. The mylar is nice to have but isn't vital. You should be able to get good results with that setup.

If the heating mat doesn't raise temps enough (most find that ~84-86F is ideal) just put some kind of insulating material under the mat, like styrofoam or some carpet scrap. Also, most of us have found that the heating mats are usually hotter in the center, so the center usually dries out more quickly than the edges. You should also keep that in mind when deciding where to place the probe for the thermostat and what temp to set it to, e.g. if you set it to 86F and have the probe on the edges, the center might get a little on hot side.

If you want to edit and put the picture in your first post, use this link:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5527210362_c02f7e925d.jpg

Your germination station looks good. The mylar is nice to have but isn't vital. You should be able to get good results with that setup.

If the heating mat doesn't raise temps enough (most find that ~84-86F is ideal) just put some kind of insulating material under the mat, like styrofoam or some carpet scrap. Also, most of us have found that the heating mats are usually hotter in the center, so the center usually dries out more quickly than the edges. You should also keep that in mind when deciding where to place the probe for the thermostat and what temp to set it to, e.g. if you set it to 86F and have the probe on the edges, the center might get a little on hot side.

I'll post the pic for you...

5527210362_c02f7e925d.jpg

If you want to edit and put the picture in your first post, use this link:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5527210362_c02f7e925d.jpg

Thanks, I see what I did now; got it!

Have added one additional 4' light since pic was taken. I'll pot up the seedlings once before garden transplant and figured I better have more adjustment possibilities in lighting as I will likely have plants of many different heights before Memorial Day garden plant.

My lights are simple Menard's shop lights, each with two Sylvania 32W Gro Lux bulbs. Hope they are good enough.

Thanks for all 0of the good info and tips.

Welcome welcome!! "germination station" just sounds attractive. Good luck on your growing season!! Whatcha growin?

xox nicole

Welcome welcome!! "germination station" just sounds attractive. Good luck on your growing season!! Whatcha growin?

xox nicole

First time ever:

Sweet Crimson
Tabasco
Tabago Seasoning Pepper
Kung Pao
Anaheim Chili
Long Red Slim
Early Jalapeno
Sweet Bannana

Ah nice. Some goodies!!!

Nice setup and a good list of peppers!! I bet those fingers can't wait to pop a few seeds in the dirt!!!

Good Luck and Happy Growing!!!

Good luck Jeff!

Its also my first time we both in kind of the same climate except maybe for the humidity, so I will watch your progress this season.

I just have one question for you and maybe others can chime in.

In your first post you say that you will start sowing your seeds around April 1st. I'm I wrong to say its a bit late, even for our zone. I started mine 6 days ago.

Good luck Jeff!

Its also my first time we both in kind of the same climate except maybe for the humidity, so I will watch your progress this season.

I just have one question for you and maybe others can chime in.

In your first post you say that you will start sowing your seeds around April 1st. I'm I wrong to say its a bit late, even for our zone. I started mine 6 days ago.

Well, I had heard 8 weeks before last frost date (May 30 here).
However, I have decided to go a bit sooner - this week-end.

I was worried that I did not have enough light set up to keep really large plants before I was able to place in garden. Others have told be that will not be a problem.
So, seeds hit pots tomorrow!

Back