• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds GERMINATION TEMPS

newbie here wondering if you experienced growers can tell me if its possible to 'cook' your seeds by letting the temp in grow box get too hot? had a stable temp of 85 for 2 weeks then had thermometer and fan failure...think my box got above 100! my sprouts, of course, wilted and died, but ive since had 12 new sprouts after stabilizing temperature. yellow bhuts are up, but i have brain strains and butch t's that i really want, and still nothing. its been 3.5 weeks since germination began, and only yellow bhuts, fatali, and pakistans are coming up. could i have killed the other seeds due to extreme heat, or do these 'super hots' just take that much longer to germinate? thanks for any and all help!!

I'm not really that experienced growing indoors and stuff, but I do know based on experience and from reading similar posts on here, that yes you definitely can cook the seeds.. with that said, I still had a few of my bhuts and 7 pots pop up..hmm, I think, about a month later I think.. but I would say, if you have the seeds, replant them at this point, and if you have the room to do so, keep the other seeds that you have planted in there and see if they pop up...

if they don't by the time your other seeds come up if you decide to replant them, then chuck them out, because obviously they are long dead lol.. but I just personally like to give them a chance if I am still using the growing/germinating area.

You most definetly can cook seeds. Temperature is debatable but 84-85f is generally considered pretty much spot on. Dont give up on your seeds too early though, especially if they are rare or you only have a few. I have had seeds pop up 6 months from when I first tried sprouting them.

newbie here wondering if you experienced growers can tell me if its possible to 'cook' your seeds by letting the temp in grow box get too hot? had a stable temp of 85 for 2 weeks then had thermometer and fan failure...think my box got above 100! my sprouts, of course, wilted and died, but ive since had 12 new sprouts after stabilizing temperature. yellow bhuts are up, but i have brain strains and butch t's that i really want, and still nothing. its been 3.5 weeks since germination began, and only yellow bhuts, fatali, and pakistans are coming up. could i have killed the other seeds due to extreme heat, or do these 'super hots' just take that much longer to germinate? thanks for any and all help!!

100+ Is way to hot! You might have fried em! If you have more seeds I suggest you start them asap! Try for 80-85 but 83-85 is perfect for super hots! I suggest a seedling heat mat with a towel to cover it and a thermostat hooked up to the heat mat will keep your germ temp stable and set perfectly! By doing it this way I got at least one seedling to sprout in all my pellets by the 8th day! Dont forget to hit em hard and heavy with the lights after seeing first hooks! Good luck!

never give up on superhots I have one that came up with a basil plant.
IMG_0105-2.jpg

100 won't cook them...its how far on the + side that you have to worry about. If it got to say 110 and stayed there any amount of time you probably fried some...Like they said though, don't give up too soon. I started my first seeds before Christmas and most of them were up in a week (some less) Some didn't hook up, so I just moved them aside on the heat mat. I have now started 3 rounds of seeds and I still get the occasional hook on the first set of supers I threw in! Just yesterday I had a Red 7 Pot pop after 5 weeks.

awesome! thx for all the info. got a new box built with thermostat so should be good. had 5 scorpions and a brain hook this morning! transplanting seedlings and keeping germination going in old box. thx again for all comments!

woo-hoo! 5 scorpions'll put hair on your chest...and probably remove it elsewhere! Glad to hear you got some action!

No---you did not cook the seeds---I ran a test in my blog---cooked Bhut at 120 degrees for 4-8-12-16 hours in a damp towel on the heat pad with a tray on top of it. the 8 hour Bhuts came up so that says they like that level of heat. Others came up as well---see my blog.

Balac

Back