• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination Time in WI

Anyone in Southern WI or similar climate able to guestimate the indoor germination time for 2017?

I've been out of indoor germination for 2 growing seasons while moving from the city to a rural area with 10 acres, and now with new weather patterns (or randomness) I have no clue.  To be completely honest, I've never been any good at guessing this, so I'm looking for some guidance.

indoor germ time shouldn't depend much on your climate since you are controlling it (indoors). should be around 2 weeks.

or you mean when you should start plants? probably around February 1st.

That being said, for 2017 I will try starting some C.pubes around NewYears. Probably start my Chinenses around Feb 1st. and Annums around March 1st.

Malarky said:
I'm near Madison and I started germing a couple dozen chinense around the end of Feb. I harden'd them off around Mother's day and they were outside full time at the end of May in 5ga buckets.  

3 Months before transplant?  Did you have them in buckets already indoors?  I plan to jump from 4x4 squares to in-ground, so they can only get so big (don't want 50-100 5ga buckets in the house).  I'm thinking 10 weeks until they outgrow for mainly chinese varieties - does that sound right?  I will shoot for end of May for the transplant as you suggested.

i had mine in 16 or 18oz double solo cups. FFOF for soil. Feeding weakly with Foliage Pro 9-3-6.
I was growing under 6, four ft, T12 fluoro lights, so my plants didn't grow like crazy, but i kept the lights right on top of the plants and they had nice tight nodes, compact plants. 

they stayed in solo cups until transplant into 5ga buckets outside.

Back