• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination time ?

Takasunome
Paquin

Been close to a month If not more now and not a sign of life anyone got experience with these 2's germination time ? Thinking about digging the seeds out of the Rockwool and trying a different method.

Gargoyle91 said:
Takasunome
Paquin

Been close to a month If not more now and not a sign of life anyone got experience with these 2's germination time ? Thinking about digging the seeds out of the Rockwool and trying a different method.

Never tried rockwool, so I can't opine on that.  What's your set up like though?  Humidity dome?  Heat mat?  Properly watered and never left to dry out?  Did you soak them before hand?

Kramer said:
Never tried rockwool, so I can't opine on that.  What's your set up like though?  Humidity dome?  Heat mat?  Properly watered and never left to dry out?  Did you soak them before hand?
Yeah soaked then 24 hours Been on a sunny window ledge never dried out covered with vented plastic wrap . I planted a few other types at the same time that are pushing 3" . Only thing I can think of is these 2 types didn't like the cold snap that hit us

Attachments

• 20210514_172211.jpg
    20210514_172211.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 106
I've grown Pequin these past couple of years. I got fast germination in 2020 ~ 1 - 1.5 weeks. This year I saw the first sprouts at around the 100 day mark, with an extra one coming in at close to 120 days after planting. They are not easy to get to cooperate.

Patience is the name of the game. You can also try scarification to speed up germination and improve germination rates.

Grass Snake said:
I have germinated Pequin and remember it did take longer than others. I've always used a heat mat, which I think really helps speed up the process, especially with the stubborn varieties and older seed stock. 

I completely agree, especially on the slower to germinate varieties.  You can get the kind with the temperature probe for pretty cheaps off Amazon, stick it in the dirt, and set to 85-87 degrees.  Maybe back it down to upper 70's once you start seeing them pop.  The heat is good to crack the shell, but after that I think you want a cooler temp to slow the growth and let them build up a little stockier.  This has worked great for me.

Back