• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination times question

Hello all, I should be starting a grow log here at some point, but I planted about 30 different types of peppers, mostly from AjiJoe but a few from PepperJoe. I planted 4 of each with the exception of Fatallis and Datils. So far I am at 50% at least from everything, with mostly 75% and 100% germination. The only two exceptions are Fatallis which 0 of 8 have sprouted, and Poblano, 0 of 4. Do these two types usually take much longer than everything else? They've been in dixie cups with seed starter and on heating pads for 18 days. I realize that they can take up to a month, but should I just start more or is this normal for this type of pepper? This is mostly out of curiosity, I have more seeds of each.

Thanks!

I'm somewhat of a noob, but have germinated enough seeds to say that I have observed germination rates and times to be all over the place. I've had slow varieties pop quickly and quick varieties pop slowly (or not at all). I really think it comes down to seed viability if you are getting good germ rates on other varieties, and it seems that you are. Since you have more seeds, you could simply sow more. If the second round doesn't pop, they may be poor seeds, and you may need to obtain some more if you want to grow these varieties.

Hope that helps.

I did sow some more just to be sure, and after a little more reading it seems that the Fatallis are very slow germinaters. I think I'll give them another week and then if nothing's changed I'll order some new seeds. I was looking for some insight into whether I should order some new seeds or if these are just super slow.

Thanks Doc.

Hi RandyYJ, I grew Fatalii's this year from seed. They grew relatively quickly... as fast as my Bishops Crowns & Red Habaneros if I remember correctly. 10 - 14 days should show signs of life I reckon. I had my heat at 28 - 30ºC... you may want to crank up the heat a little.

I have not had an issue with either variety taking that long, however some super hots have taken over 3 weeks for me to sprout. My Carolina Reaper and Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion both hit the soil the same as my Red Brain Strain and only the Brain Strain has come up. It has been over 2 weeks. I think I had Butch T's come up at 27 days last season.

RandyYJ..... I have a few fresh isolated fatalii seeds or a gang of non isolated fatalii seeds. PM me your addy and I will be more than happy to share them with you. Poblano are annuum and should take no more than 10 days if the seeds are any good. Fatalii are chinense and may take a bit longer. I would leave those seeds go as long as you can...what's it going to hurt,right? If you plant your seed too deep it may take longer for them to break the surface. They may actually germinate and lose strength before popping up,or just seem like they are taking longer by having to travel that extra distance. I like having mine alittle deeper than the norm to help with stuck seed caps..Are you using heating pads,or actual seed starting mats? I would check the temperature that you are germinating at. Err on the side of colder than hotter. 80°-84° is what is preached by the knowledgable growers. I would rather have 75° than 95° though.

Prodigal son, I'm definitely going to take you up on your offer. I planted my seeds about 1/4 inch deep and had quite a bit with helmets but I was able to get all them off without hurting the seedlings except for one. I am using a heating pad but it has an auto shutoff. It is in a covered greenhouse starter kit in front of a south facing window and stays about 75 all day. When I get home in the afternoons or when I'm off I set the heating pad at the first level, which brings the inside temp of the little greenhouse to about 82. I'm gonna go get a couple pics (cause everybody loves pics) and then a PM is on the way.

Thanks.

Typical seedlings in dixie cups picture. Good thing I went in there to take a couple pics, several were needing some water.

Pepper002.jpg

Pepper004.jpg

Pepper005.jpg

Back