• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination; when to transplant

So I've been lurking here for a little while and have been searching but can't seem to find an exact answer.

So I got my White Fatalii seeds from PepperLover.com and started germinating them Friday night, been trying to keep them at around 82 degrees. They have started sprouting and have little roots coming out of them. My question is how far along in the germination stage should I transplant them into pots?

My second question, what is the best thing to transplant them to? I was going to use the little peat moss cups but I've read mixed things about them. Should I just get some starter soil and use solo cup until they get a bit bigger and transplant them to a 5 gal pot.

Here is a picture of how far along they are now
oUKzfdy.jpg

Sorry for the newbie questions, just want to do whats best for my babies.

Welcome!

Mine were just a little more developed when I transplanted them. Might want to wait til they are the size of the third from the top. But I am new to this so maybe wait for an expert.

Welcome! 

I transplant them pretty soon after signs of sprouting that way. The basic idea is to see which seeds a viable. If you wait too long, the roots get long, delicate and stuck in the paper. Watch the temp for the first week or so, as too cold can shock them dead. As for medium, and cups, there are many good ways. Currently, I go from a germination station to:

Four inch square pots. 
71oP%2B7oYhhL._SL1000_.jpg

Plus seedling starter mix like:

91w63eRR1tL._SL1500_.jpg

I keep my seedlings in these pots until going either in ground or 5 gallon + pots. I start adding small amounts of liquid fertilizer after they get a few sets of true leaves. That's what works best for me, and keeps it simple. Good luck!

Thank you for the input, if i plant them before waiting for leaves to show up, do i have to orient them a certain way? or will they know to grow up? 

As for temp, I keep my house at 80, so i keep them outside in the shade during the day where its around 85, and bring them inside and place them where the fan and AC can't blow on them. :) 

Im no expert either, but i wait for the first set of leaves are fully formed after the cotyledon...or in lamons terms, when you have four leaves developed and another set starting to sprout...

as for transplanting...i go from seed starting tray...and then to a small 6" pot...then finally into the biggest pot i can find...Im currently using what i think are 7 gallon pots for there final resting place.

Roots are positively geotropic, aka they grow down. No matter how you plant them they will go down, just don't go and plant them too shallow. If I were you, I'd plant them as soon as they are sprouted. Keep the next container small for now (solo cups are OK). Welcome to thp btw, lovin your profile pic :D

ablizno said:
Thank you for the input, if i plant them before waiting for leaves to show up, do i have to orient them a certain way? or will they know to grow up? 

As for temp, I keep my house at 80, so i keep them outside in the shade during the day where its around 85, and bring them inside and place them where the fan and AC can't blow on them. :)

as for oritating them...they will grow up and towards a light source.

ablizno said:

... :)

Just put them in dirt (I use the depth of a pencil eraser) and they know which way is up!

ErolDude said:
Roots are positively geotropic, aka they grow down. No matter how you plant them they will go down, just don't go and plant them too shallow. If I were you, I'd plant them as soon as they are sprouted. Keep the next container small for now (solo cups are OK). Welcome to thp btw, lovin your profile pic :D

hottoddy said:

Just put them in dirt (I use the depth of a pencil eraser) and they know which way is up!

okay so if I'm taking both of your inputs into concideration, wait untill they sprout leaves and make a little eraser hole, drop the roots in and cover up leaving the little leaves exposed.

Sorry for the newb questions, just want my babies to grow up to be nice and strong.

ablizno said:

okay so if I'm taking both of your inputs into concideration, wait untill they sprout leaves and make a little eraser hole, drop the roots in and cover up leaving the little leaves exposed.

Sorry for the newb questions, just want my babies to grow up to be nice and strong.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, and too many cooks in the kitchen, but I think we're both saying plant the sprouted ones now. Don't wait for leaves and any direction will do. Aim for about 1/4 inch max depth.

Okay thank you, I just get so overwhelmed. There was a post a saw where this guy germinated them till they were like 3-4 inches tall and confused myself. Thanks you guys for all you're help :) ill be sure to keep everyone posted on how things go!

1. don't wait and put the root (the little thing sticking out) down.
IMG_20150110_222239.jpg

2. wait for cotys and place the root down.
IMG_20150111_210236.jpg

either is good, i like the 2nd method as it reduces helmet heads (when seed casing gets stuck on cotys) and you don't have to deal with keeping humidity in your seedling trays/pots.

juanitos said:
1. don't wait and put the root (the little thing sticking out) down.
IMG_20150110_222239.jpg

2. wait for cotys and place the root down.
IMG_20150111_210236.jpg

either is good, i like the 2nd method as it reduces helmet heads (when seed casing gets stuck on cotys) and you don't have to deal with keeping humidity in your seedling trays/pots.

Okay, i think i might just do a few of each as i accidentally germinated more seeds than I have space to grow 

Back