• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination

LordHill said:
I could be wrong, but i have been lead to believe bumpy leaves is a sign of lack of calcium. Also told that its not always as simple as adding calcium, sometimes its an inability to take in calcium.. either way, something i would keep in mind.

* Im by no means an expert and could easily be wrong
I now believe it has more to do with the indoor environment.Either too hot/low humidity too close to the light etc because as soon as they are moves into the polytunnel the new leaves come right.

Bumpy leaves can also be a sign you have a lot of light and nitrogen so the leaf tissue is growing faster than the veins in the leaf, in which case the leaf will flatten out as it gets larger.

I'm just going to repeat what I've already said here - use coffee filters instead of paper towels or even toilet paper. The weave of coffee filters is tighter, which helps prevent the roots from taking hold. However, that said, it's even better if you move them to starter soil as soon as the root peeks out of the seed casing. At that point it's too short to dig into anything.

Just to show how well seeds germinate in plain old potting soil, I planted 6 different varieties the day i commented of this discussion.. here we are 6 days later. 2 reapers and 2 jalapeno are up. 1 of everything else also up.. less than a week. Check it out

http://imgur.com/iHIdl0m

LordHill said:
Just to show how well seeds germinate in plain old potting soil, I planted 6 different varieties the day i commented of this discussion.. here we are 6 days later. 2 reapers and 2 jalapeno are up. 1 of everything else also up.. less than a week. Check it out

http://imgur.com/iHIdl0m
nice. I started some in bags the night of October 26. by November 1st, a few purple and red cayenne had germinated. I put them in soil that night. since then a few others have germinated and I've moved from bags to soil.I have started some new seeds directly in soil. Thanks.

coachspencerxc said:
nice. I started some in bags the night of October 26. by November 1st, up to you purple and red cayenne had germinated. I put them in soil that night. since then a few others have germinated and I've moved from bags to soil.I have started some new seeds directly in soil. Thanks.

Nice I started 50 or so back on Sept 5th -- I am still having some start to hook 2 months later... I used the peet pods.  Now my trouble is affording all the dirt and buckets to plant them in it gets expensive after a bit. 

Gargoyle91 said:
 Now my trouble is affording all the dirt and buckets to plant them in it gets expensive after a bit.
Think outside of the box. Farmers generally have no problem with someone cleaning out their barns and horse stalls. Makes excellent filler. Youd be suprised how nice a farmer will be to what he sees as free labor.

Back