• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

getting the heat you ask for when dining out

I had a meal "Thai hot" last night and it was in-sane!!!

I asked the waitress what peppers they use. She went to ask the chef. She came back and said, what I thought was, "He used the ones he had pepper."

"Oh, do you know which ones though?

"The ones he had."

I looked puzzled. She wrote it down for me.

Trinidad!!!!!!

Oh... "He used the Trinidad pepper!" I exclaimed! She smiled and gave a little clap in excitement as well, lol!

Whoop. My new spot!!

Ah the verbal dance of extracting information from Asian restaurants.

It took me six to eight weeks of going in every other day, to get a local Viet restaurant to understand firey bung-hole hot. They finally got it right one day when the sauce came out green, instead of a pale yellow. Bang on, says I, delicious eats. I ate there on and off for years.

Last year they changed most staff while I was away for a few weeks. Pale yellow sauce again, and I don't think I have the patience anymore. I try spicing it up at home, but it lacks the ... flow-avour? that it had before.

sporehead said:
Aw doesn't look like I'll make it to the Meetup. I've been broke for too long and can't pay for a spot there. Maybe next time. have fun ya'll.
There's a Saturday PotLuck that a lot of day-trippers come to.  Don't need to get a camping spot.  I'll send a PM.

The Hot Pepper said:
I had a meal "Thai hot" last night and it was in-sane!!!I asked the waitress what peppers they use. She went to ask the chef. She came back and said, what I thought was, "He used the ones he had pepper.""Oh, do you know which ones though?"The ones he had."I looked puzzled. She wrote it down for me.Trinidad!!!!!!Oh... "He used the Trinidad pepper!" I exclaimed! She smiled and gave a little clap in excitement as well, lol!Whoop. My new spot!!
Pics or it did not indeed occur.

I've been doing this dance with my local Indian place for a couple of years now, they call me "The hot vindaloo guy".
But I have really only been a chilli head for about 3 years now and I think my tolerance is still developing, so when they do get it right, with I think Kashmiri flake, I quickly out grow it and next time I'm disappointed with what seems like a much milder vindaloo.

I found initially that asking for Indian hot worked, but I like the idea of taking in some dried bhuts, enough that there's plenty for them to play with.

Back