• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ghetto Grow Rooms #2

Seeing as winter is fast upon us, I thought it would be good for all us cheapskates to show off our ghetto grow rooms! I know there was another old thread so I figured fresh start would be nice.

I'll start us off...

-Pots are Ikea trashcans with holes drilled x10
-Lights are LEDs directly from a Chinese factory via ebay x10
-socket/plugs are from Amazon and meant for paper lanterns x10
-spare room in unfinished basement
-Gentle warm air for circulation via dehumidifier already in basement 

IMAG0012-e1381442813940.jpg

This is a old picture from when the room was first setup. 2-3 weeks later I have new growth and the first signs of buds! (the plants were under very poor lightning until the LEDs came in and needed time to recover). Collectively probably spent $230 and have about 15,000 Lux at canopy level.  :dance:
I would put the lights closer but I accidentally ordered 60 degree bulbs and not 120, so I need to keep them a little further back for coverage.

impending_bending said:
Will post pics of mine shortly but in the meantime how are those led working out for you? Can you provide a link?

So far they seem to be holding up great. I leave them on for 16-18 hours a day and they only get warm (half the bulb is a heat sink). They are suppose to be CREE leds inside although always take that with a grain of salt when buying on ebay. However as far as lumen/lux readings they are delivering exactly as advertised so I can't complain. Some people have said they can make a whiny noise or flicker so YMMV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360625751023?var=630102541116&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got 8 of the 9x2 watt option, non-dimable, 5700-6500k, and 2 of the 2700-3200k. They are definitely white light style bulbs so the whole spectrum "should" be there. However I figured I could rotate the warm bulbs around if that does in fact help with blooming. I also ordered enough to get the express shipping and they did honor that.

edit:
I had to store my plants indoors sooner than I wanted while waiting for the bulbs (yay procrastination) so they started loosing leaves and any little shake would knock more off. However since they have been under the lights they have gotten much healthier and new growth is plainly visible and the leaves do not fall off anymore. I also am seeing new growth towards the base of the plants so I am getting good penetration. Do keep in mind however that I have the 60 degree bulbs so they are more focused. I will try and post pics of growth later.

I also should add that my wattage draw is so low from the LEDs that I am adding a total of $8/month to my bill running them 18 hours a day all month  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Nice little setup! I'll have to go get some photos of my greenhouse lighting. Its amazing how much greener they get under the correct amount of light. I love it.

First, thanks to pure_boredom for the info and link.

Ok here goes... This was originally a setup for hydro but I put pots in there sometimes and adjust the shelves accordingly. Right now I just have my hydro seed starts going, but I lit the whole thing up for the pics for dramatic effect.
First, the lighting. Housings ~$12 each and bulbs $1-$2 each bought in bulk. Housings that were just light boxes got nothing but the finest $2 extension cords cut and spliced to supply power.
aIAJqLm.jpg
vUCjYE2.jpg

The state-of-the-art ventilation system. Inline duct booster fan and 6" ducting, $30 and $20, respectively.
FKUM5JZ.jpg
BgmUMhR.jpg

Finally, the piece de resistance - the stapled cardboard box intake cap. Roughly, I don't know, 20 cents for staples plus whatever the hell I ordered from Amazon.
RJk0TlW.jpg
hd0Qdyn.jpg

All-in-all, probably about $250 for lighting, ventilation, and the shelves. The hydro crap like air pumps and tubing a bit more but not too much. Works like a charm when I've got stuff in there.

Oh yeah, forgot about the current plants. These are the seedlings currently in the setup.
AtCUYIk.jpg

Here's my work-in-progress, first attempt at growing things.

It's a $25 Wal-Mart shelving unit with a couple T5 fixtures and a Jiffy germination kit.

Ij75HIPh.jpg

My plants started in a closet under a 200W CFL, the plants on the left side were the first to germinate and got really leggy right away. I decided early on I would need to get something with more even coverage, so I picked up the T5's. The newer plants on the right side of this picture are short and bushy. I still want to add a 3rd light in the middle.

uRMIaM5h.jpg

It was hard to find a T5 fixture that would fit my shelving, so I ended up buying 2 36" fixtures and wiring them myself.
695rDueh.jpg

I added a power bar for the setup so I can keep the wiring clean and can turn everything off with a single switch. The bottom shelf also hold the germination tray and heat mat. I don't plug this one into the power bar; I want to keep it running regardless of my light cycle.
WKaxL4qh.jpg

The shelf that the lights are mounted on is not installed like the rest of the shelves. Instead, it hangs from the top shelf so it can be adjusted as the plants grow, or to give me access to the plants if I need to inspect or water them.

cR0VIrnh.jpg

I belong in this thread. I spent almost nothing "building" my grow room. The dome light cost $5, the aquarium light cost $22 + 4 new suited bulbs @ $9 a piece.

The whole room thing is the inside of a cardboard box lined with aluminium foil. The other boxes are old plastic grape boxes I got from work which were rubbish, again lined with foil. I picked up the fan from a council clean up day. The timer, I had at home, all those globes were laying around at home, the growdomes cost $8 from a hardware store. All up I spent more on seeds and soil.

I like the above setup, thats looks awesome, I'm waiting to pickup a rack like that and build my new unit in the same manner. Just don't wanna pay for the rack so gonna wait for another council clean up haha.

admy.jpg

i'll show you ghetto.

ggOhOve.jpg

"reaper"

W7n7wgq.jpg

Chocolate Moruga from John Ford kinda lost its hair in shipping.

gp7Gqc1.jpg

But its growing more :)

kJggYMB.jpg

SciurusDoomus said:
Dorm closet, two plants, 400W HPS. This is an old picture. I have a 5gal DWC tank in there now with basil. You wouldn't believe the number of people passing by asking if I grow weed.

uVUVymP.jpg
I brought my plants into my dorm setup yesterday, although my HPS is only a 250W. I'll be posting a pic or two sometime today hopefully

sreinhard88 said:
I brought my plants into my dorm setup yesterday, although my HPS is only a 250W. I'll be posting a pic or two sometime today hopefully
PM me if you have any questions. I've been doing this for a year already.

impending_bending said:
First, thanks to pure_boredom for the info and link.

Ok here goes... This was originally a setup for hydro but I put pots in there sometimes and adjust the shelves accordingly. Right now I just have my hydro seed starts going, but I lit the whole thing up for the pics for dramatic effect.
First, the lighting. Housings ~$12 each and bulbs $1-$2 each bought in bulk. Housings that were just light boxes got nothing but the finest $2 extension cords cut and spliced to supply power.

The state-of-the-art ventilation system. Inline duct booster fan and 6" ducting, $30 and $20, respectively.

Finally, the piece de resistance - the stapled cardboard box intake cap. Roughly, I don't know, 20 cents for staples plus whatever the hell I ordered from Amazon.
RJk0TlW.jpg
hd0Qdyn.jpg

stapled cardboard box intake cap FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally uploaded the pictures from my dorm setup, definitely turned out better than how I initially pictured it.

1395852_10151911809469099_10733058_n.jpg

Lights off

1383722_10151911809009099_633289550_n.jpg

Lights on

1378031_10151911809314099_174605562_n.jpg

turns out I had room for 3 plants, not 2.  (Jalapeno, Hab, Serrano)

Back