• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Ghetto hydroponics germination test

The seed is about at the top of the straw (wouldn't fit any lower).
The paper is just rolled and then slid into the straw, so that is reaches to the bottom on one end, and has a bit poking out the top on the other (and then the seed is just sat there).

:)

Version 1 is going great guns, almost 100% sprouting (of the seeds I expected to sprout).

Version 2... well still in the planning stages. Finding the right sized tubing is a pain, can buy it either the same size as ver1 (or smaller) as drip hose, or much bigger as plumbing pipe. The right size? Well I've seen it as oversized drinking straws, they are just a little harder to come by.

Decided to open up one of the tubes to see how the growth of roots were, here are the pics.

ghetto_tube2.JPG

Tube with towel and seedling.

ghetto_tube3.JPG

Towel and seedling removed from tube.

ghetto_tube4.JPG

Naked seedling with root exposed.

They are now outside in the Autumn air in a little "greenhouse", will see what happens next.

Pauly we sell clear plastic tubing of diff dimensions, what size were you after and at what length?

Edit: Add pic

2011-03-25114332.jpg

I think 7mm-8mm ID would be about right. Large enough for the bigger seed. Are we talking rigid as in sparkies conduit? That's about what I think would be right, allow the tubes to be hard-mounted to the lid of the nutrient container.

Straws wobble about a bit :)

O.D. Is 9.7mm I.D. is 6.5mm

Yup it's stiff, made from either polycarbonate or acrylic. Polycarb has a breaking strength 250x that of glass while the acrylic has 40x. point is ya cant break polycarb if ya try even with a sledge hammer (ive tried) but the acrylic is more rigid. Both would do the job.

Back