• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost Chile Colors

To the people that have grown the Reds, Chocolates, Yellows, White, Peach, or Purple, what exactly are the heat differences between these? Are they all the same or does the heat level vary greatly?

Thoughts everybody!?!?

In MY opinion, the chocolate, red, and yellow are all fairly close in heat. (The yellow maybe trailing just a little.) The peach, purple, and white are REALLY new. Not a lot of people are growing them. From what I hear on the White Bhut's, they don't actually turn COMPLETELY white. I think one or two people might be growing the Peach Bhut this year. I would ask them on heat/taste. (I have seeds, and will try my hand at them NEXT year.) I also have a Purple Bhut growing, as does maybe one or two more people on here. I don't really think they are going to be that hot. They look more hab'ish to me. I'll be able to tell you soon. Also gonna send a few out for some people to test on video.

okay cool! I'll be growing the Peach Bhuts next year as well, I'm just wondering if I should put my time into the Purple and "White-ish" bhuts if they're not going to bring the heat :hell:

I have Choc, Red & Yellow growing, My reds are the hottest, my Chocs are very hot with a nice smokey smell, one of my Yellows doesn't have the typical wrinkled waxy gloss look to it like my other Yellows, It's hot but not nearly as hot as the others but it does have a nice flavor, better flavor when dried.. Seems to get sweeter..

There will of course be differences amongst the reds and browns, from the diversity of Red Bhuts that seem to be accumulating I could easily imagine getting a weaker strain with other desirable characteristics such as interesting pod shape or higher yields. Try a couple of different reds... that's what I'm doing.

Back