chinense Ghost Pepper Buying

I have been in the salsa industry for less than a year now.  We have been getting requests for a "knock you on your ass" salsa but I am lost on where to buy them at.  Which would be better, dried or fresh? Whatever your opinion is, where is the best place to buy them? (online or wherever).  Thanks!

First off welcome to The Hot Pepper.

Wow did you find the right place.

I don't sell, but many of us do.

There will be many others answering yourcry for help.

Good luck and welcome.

Rymerpt

Do you use fresh in your current salsa? If yes, I'd stick to fresh. I do not like dried in salsa unless I am using my powders. I then love to play Jedi mind tricks on guests by adding a Jalapeno so there is really a pepper in there and a super hot in powder form. :)

:welcome:

I use fresh peppers in our salsa.  The only problem is I live in Virginia so I don't know how the shipping would work.

Jeffj said:
I use fresh peppers in our salsa.  The only problem is I live in Virginia so I don't know how the shipping would work.
Works perfectly fine, many of us ship fresh pods all across the US using SFRB and MFRB from the USPS. 

Which to choose could depend on the logistics involved in producing another line of salsa.  With another fresh ingredient comes continual supply, storage, and consumption factors, "just in time" stock, and a 2nd production line splitting off at the point the fresh super hot peppers are added.  This route should provide optimal taste of the super hot pepper.

However if your existing salsa tastes *good enough* already then dried or powder starts to make more sense, as it can add the heat without the significant supply timing and storage issues, and can be added to your current salsa at the last stage so you have just the one production line for both but adding the super hot dried or powdered at  the end of the line to some of it.

You should try it both ways and conduct taste tests.

Experimenting is really the only way to know, but here's my culinary opinion. Ghost peppers already have a bit of a smoky flavor naturally and drying seems to enhance that. If you are trying to create a version of your house salsa with a strong Ghost Pepper character to it, I would go with a dried or even a smoked powder. That would get you the most flavor bang for the buck. As for heat, no matter what form you get your ghosts in, they will provide plenty of fire per gram.

As already noted, powders are much easier to deal with from a logistics perspective.

If you're close enough to me I could hand deliver them to you in a few months when I have fresh pods, if not within a few hours I'm sure mailing would hardly be an issue for in-state.  I live within an hour from Richmond, Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, and Staunton

Back