• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ghost pepper question

Hey everybody, first time poster. Seems like there is some good info on the forum.

I've been dabbling in hydroponic/aeroponic gardening and have successfully grown jalapeno peppers and a ton of basil. I decided I'd try to grow some ghost peppers so I ordered some seeds from Taiwan. (forgive me if the name "ghost" pepper is looked down on... I've read that it's a misnomer..."

Anyway, the seeds took a while to germinate, but I finally managed to get one plant to really take off and undergo a lot of vegetative growth / blossoms. Unfortunately, all the blossoms aborted except for one, but I was excited that I'd soon have a ghost pepper.

I was away from the plant for an extended period of time, and when I returned was disappointed to find what I don't think is possibly a ghost pepper. I'll attempt to attach a picture. Can someone please help me identify the pepper I'm growing?

35093_835450553360_12904037_44712883_1726765_n.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-David

always look for bumps in the skin.the bhuts 7pods and scorpions are the only strains i've seen with bumps in the skin. this pepper does not appear to be a bhut. there are lots of honest seed sellers out there. it's actually very easy to find bhut jolokia now.sorry you ran into a seed merchant tha doesn't know what they are selling.

you know what? Mrarboc is right. that is most likely tezpur pc-1 also from india. they call it naga jolokia which only causes confusion since it is not a naga.you should get a good yield from it though but the heat level is not anywhere near bhut jolokia.

Sorry to hear about that. Its happened to all of us at some point. Definitley not a bhut jolokia. Not quite sure myself. However, if youd like a few of the seeds, I have some I can spare for ya.

Welcome to THP. I agree with Luckydog and Mrarboc. Not a bhut. Could be PC-1 but kind of hard to tell from the photo.

Thanks for all of the replies...

I tried to review the ebay auction where I bought the seeds. It's over 90 days old, so I can't see my specific auction. But upon reviewing the seller's current items for auction, I noticed that they're selling a bunch of "naga jolokia". Then in the auction they call it "bhut naja jolokia". They show the scoville scale that puts this pepper at the top, so it seems that they're advertising the real deal. But is the "naga" term reserved for a different pepper?

Anyway, two questions. First, where would you all recommend I get some of these seeds? And second, does anybody grow hot peppers hydro/aeroponically and have they had similar problems with the blooms aborting?

Thanks again!

Anyway, two questions. First, where would you all recommend I get some of these seeds?

JSKaiser just offered to give you some, just say "thank you for you generous offer"! ;)

If you want a good selection of superhots and "normals" - The Hippy Seed Company is basically the only international seller I recommend because I know that if there ever was a problem he would fix it. Try him out and you won't regret it!

JSKaiser just offered to give you some, just say "thank you for you generous offer"! ;)

If you want a good selection of superhots and "normals" - The Hippy Seed Company is basically the only international seller I recommend because I know that if there ever was a problem he would fix it. Try him out and you won't regret it!

yeah, I hadn't seen the offer before I posted that... I've already sent him an email! :lol:

if you want pure Bhut Jolokia seed stock...go to the source that had it certified as the world record...NMSU CPI...link shown above by Florida Country Boy..

if you want pure Bhut Jolokia seed stock...go to the source that had it certified as the world record...NMSU CPI...link shown above by Florida Country Boy..

Thanks for the advice, Jack. I'll give them a look.

BTW I was born in Opelika, although I'm in KY now. Anyway, War Eagle!!

"Ghost Pepper" is a good layman's term to use for Bhut, Bih, Naga, etc. in my opinion. I would kinda know what you were talking about. 90% of the world will be calling it that anyway.

hey ABM...the only time I have seen or heard Ghost Pepper used was in association with the Bhut Jolokia...not saying you are wrong, just saying what I have seen..

"Ghost Pepper" is a good layman's term to use for Bhut, Bih, Naga, etc. in my opinion. I would kinda know what you were talking about. 90% of the world will be calling it that anyway.
+1
I see the term "ghost pepper" covering all the bhuts, nagas, etc. It simplifies things a lot for the non-chilehead consumers who don't know or care about minor differences

Back