• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ghost Peppers not getting big

Hey guys,

Sorry for no pics at the moment. I should be able to get some uploaded later tonight.

I have a concern about my Ghost Pepper plant. The plant seems to be doing great overall - I have a lot of pods that have grown but they're probably no bigger than a Jalepeno and pretty much have that bullet shape. Some are slowly starting to turn red.

I'm growing in a 10" Walmart plastic pot which isn't big at all. I'm wondering if the pot size has stunted their growth but all of my other plants seem to have produced normal sized pods. Would moving the plant to a larger pot at this point in time help the current pods grow larger or would it only benefit pods that haven't grown yet?

I'm not being a lot of help here, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with pot size. I have a few peppers that do it every year. I have no idea what causes it. Maybe the heat?

Just found a photo on my phone that I took from about a month or so ago:
36d376ec.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. This is my first time growing and I'm still trying to learn but how do crosses happen?

I was thinking the same thing. This is my first time growing and I'm still trying to learn but how do crosses happen?

Pollen from a different species lands on the flower of the plant. It's tough to tell if you have a cross, because the pods grown out from the flower that was pollinated by the other species grow true, but the seeds contained within have different genetics. So you won't know until next season that you have a cross.

It's quite possible since I do have my plants very close to each other do to the limited deck space that I have in the city.

It's quite possible since I do have my plants very close to each other do to the limited deck space that I have in the city.

If it's your first time growing, then it's not related to your growing conditions at all. It would have to do with the growing conditions of the seed source. Most likely the pod that they gathered seeds from had been pollinated by a different plant.

Got ya. I'm currently thinking of the kinds of peppers I want to grow next year and was curious to know of good, cheap & reputable places online to get seed from so I can avoid this from happening again. Not that the peppers aren't good, I've popped one off and they are tasty but I'd like a true Ghost Pepper.

I highly recommend pepperlover.com. Judy is a member here and a top notch businesswoman. Check out the Vendor Vault subforum here for other vendors.

Thanks for the link and recommendation. Are there any other places that sell superhot seeds any cheaper? The trinidad peppers seem a bit pricey.

Actually 7-8 bucks for superhot seeds isn't too bad (IMHO). And she usually throws in some freebies as well. But if you want to go cheaper, there's usually somebody in the Marketplace subforum that is giving seeds away for free (or the price of shipping).

When you figure that even getting "Free" seeds from other members costs about $5 by the time you add the postage both ways ( $1.95 x2) and the Bubble envelope ($1), bags, shipping labels for sending a "SASBE" the cost of buying them is not that much more costly - plus if you get "free" seeds you might wind up in the same place next year since most are open pollinated and at least getting them from a reputable company gives you some assurance of getting what you order ( sure crosses still happen but they normally use some sort of isolation method and they normally offer at least replacement if it does happen. )

Yeah, definitely too smooth to be true bhuts. For reference this thread (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33176-my-narley-looking-bhut-jolokias/) has pics of what a true bhut should look like.

Either way, I hope the pods are good and pack a ton of heat for you!

Yeah, I was pretty familiar with what true bhuts looked like but had no idea about their growth patterns.

I tried a young unripe one that had fell off the plant a while back and it packed some nice heat. I plan on picking the ripe red one and trying it out tonight.

Thinking back, I did have a pepper (see below) that I grew on another plant from the same seed packet which grew a light green pod. I don't think i've had any other pods from the plant though.
0e2ffa8e.jpg

So I now believe I have what looks like ghost peppers growing in one of my other pots. However, they are growing a light green. Shouldn't they start out as a darker green?

6c19797c.jpg

Back