• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ghost Pollination

Does my ghost need pollination since its not producing pods while it has a ton of flowers and they keep on dropping. Im pretty sure I need to help assist pollination

indoor? outdoor?

if outdoor i wouldn't really worry about it, but since it's only one plant, it wouldn't be a lot of work to just go around and hit the flowers with a cotton swab.

i sort of think it's not lack of pollinators that's causing flower drop, but still can't hurt to pollinate it a bit yourself. i don't know if it's true, but i read somewhere that pollen production peaks in the afternoon, so maybe you could try then.

Chilidude said:

Try using electric toothbrush behind the flower, you should then have some pods coming if the pollen is dropping and viable.
I just did that seeing some advice on YouTube videos. Hope it works.

Yeah, since the ghost is a hybrid thats only partially fertile its pollination wont be the plus. Also I am living in Texas not northern India.

SpeakPolish said:
Yeah, since the ghost is a hybrid thats only partially fertile its pollination wont be the plus. Also I am living in Texas not northern India.

Well then, i do live in the cold Finland and not in India or Texas. In 2014 i had a caramel bhut jolokia plant full of pods, so surely you have better growing place than i do. :rolleyes:

North India is pretty cold since you have the Himalayas, also its pretty dry for the same reason. Finland, I think is cold and dry

SpeakPolish said:
 Finland, I think is cold and dry

Think, unpredictable weather. Last year was all rain really cold weather, now it is mostly all sunny hot weather with very little rain and the Naga morich plants seems to like it because there are now lot of pods coming.

WHat's the weather like where you are at ?? -- in temps above 90 - 100 F many of the flowers will be infertile (no pollen) due to the heat when forming o flower drop is pretty normal best bet is to just keep the plant healthy and once you get a stretch of cooler weather it will set pods.

How much have you been fertilizing? If the plant looks super healthy and green it could be too much nitrogen that is causing flower drop.

Are you using shade cloth yet? It's been over 100 regularly here lately and my plants are setting pods. My chinense are a little late to the game but I think thats just cuz they're chinense. The plants I have kinda around the edge of the cloth that get more direct sun are doing ok but the ones that get constant cover are doing amazing so I know the shade cloth works really well.

SpeakPolish said:
Yeah, since the ghost is a hybrid thats only partially fertile its pollination wont be the plus.

Who told you that bhuts are only partially fertile? In my experience, they are as fertile as any other Chinense. Yes, they carry a few Frutescens genetic markers that proves that they crossed at some point in their past. But their genetic makeup is strongly Chinense. They are far from being a partially infertile hybrid.

As others have said, it is probably the summer heat causing the flower drop.  

I used a Q-tip to "help", but eventually the flowers will stop dropping, and later in the fall you should see more pods take.  Your weather conditions may be different.

Back