• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Ghosts or 7 Pots? Help please.

Any help appreciated, folks. Lots left on the plants as well.

CIMG4917_zpsh9zcqzir.jpg

I am going with what Romy6 said about 7 pot barrackpore, but ghosts come in such a variety of shapes that I'd wonder about taste.  7 Pots and Ghosts have their own distinct flavor, some more notable than others, but definitely different.  I dont think reaper but it does seem like there are two shapes going on there.  Maybe ghost and the if it has a tail it is a reaper type reapers.

The taste of a Ghost pepper is unmistakeable to me compared to almost any other pepper its the easiest to recognize besides your basic Habanero chinense flavor!  Did you taste any bhut/ghost flavor at all?  

I am growing Barrackpore this year and they dont resemble mine in the least, I think a trait of the Barrackpore is its a longer type chili and those are more blunt shaped than longish.  

As I look at some of those peppers, they almost look like regular Scorpion peppers to me.   Regular Scorpions will have that blunt shape with that tiny little tail at the end, all of mine do.  So do they feel leathery to the touch?  A Scorpion pepper will have a very acidic taste also.  Like when you eat a grapefruit and such. 

Good luck on the I.D.  

Sorry to say but buying from Hirt's was your first mistake. Hope you don't make that mistake a second time.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.

BaconStripDivots said:
Bought from Hirt's Gardens online as Bhut Jolokia's and Carolina Reapers.  They don't really look like either but they are blazing.

I see some pods that look like Bhut Jolokia, some look like Scorpions, some look like a variety of 7-Pots...

Not trying to defend Hirt's; my experience is only buying Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero live plants from them. Most productive plants in my garden, several hundred pods per plant, so at least I got what I paid for. If you did not, or believe you did not, you should email them and ask for a refund.

Anyway, those do look like some wicked peppers, even if they are not what you ordered. Sometimes there are accidental crosses...  You might have some exotic new hybrid there.

With the new photo, I am even more sure the pile is a red ghost variety and the new if it has a tail it is a carolina reaper variety.  For what ever reason, despite seed now being widely available, there really seems to be a trend to use the term carolina reaper to describe any hot pepper with a tail.

As this was my first attempt at growing, I've been learning a valuable lesson on making sure one's sources are reputable.  Point taken, and will be sure to not make the same mistake again.

As for the flavor, they definitely do not taste anything near a ghost chile.  They do have a slight fruity characteristic that is short lived before the burn starts.  Once lit up, the more I eat, the more I can taste the fruityness of the pepper.  But wow, do they pack a serious punch.

Not complaining at all.  The plants are prolific along with another set of plants from Hirt's that someone identified at a Jamaican Red (not to be mistaken for a Savina).  See picture below:  These aren't spicy at all until you get to the seeds/membrane.  The pepper itself is mild.  But I can't pick these fast enough as there has been no shortage of fruit.

CIMG4918_zpse6o0mtgq.jpg

Thanks for all the input, folks, and the warm welcoming wishes.  I'm really going to have fun here.

- Dave

your first pic looks like my red douglah from pepperlover, which is a 7 pot, i am looking at mine right now and they are overlapping your picture....difference, mine are still green on the plant. i have a monster sized barrackpore plant and the pods in the first pic don't resemble them either.

i have dorset naga and bombay morich and the first picture does not resemble them - both are a version of ghost pepper.

good luck with your future growing.

Baconstrip - Dont let me discourage you from getting seed and plants from sources you are not familiar with.  OK, paying good money for a plant which turns out to be something else can be annoying, but getting some funky seed is part of the fun.  No clue what you paid for plants, but unless you are at the big boy's shops you are probably not going to pay all that much for seed stock.

I can understand it when a commercial grower puts a huge amount of time and money into something s/he can not sell.  But if you are growing for yourself, the question are do you like how it tastes, was it fun to grow, did you make new friends talking about it, and maybe most importantly: what do I grow next?

I love my kids even thought they did not come out as I expected.  Hmmm, wonder how they taste.  Wait, I am a vegetarian.

Too funny, aj!  The whole process has been a joy, from hardening the plants received to the harvest I'm enjoying at present.  Having a good problem at this current time, trying to figure out what to do with all this fruit!

Thanks for the kind words.

I dont know about Reapers but I have read from several sources that Ghosts weren't stabilized before being released so has anyone grown an actual "Ghost" pepper since that first generation?  Could be the same for the Reaper.  The pod in your second pic looks awesome!

Back