• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ghosty's humble Glog March 2012

The first two shots are before transplant. I decided to try Baker's suggestion and bought a bag of pine bark mulch and added 30 - 40% to the bottom of each transplant pot (not blended btw), except one to see if there was any difference. I also took my healthiest trinidad scorpion and put it in the biggest pot to see if I would get more growth out of it. I transplanted trinidad scorpions, chocolate bhut jolokia's and regular bhuts. You will notice some plants are well along, over three months, while some about a month and some just started. I want to see if I can get peppers from all of them and in what time frame. If we have a hot spring, and above average summer as far as heat I imagine they will produce early. I have been taking flower buds off of them regularly. After transplant, I hit them with a weak solution of miracle grow. All of the pots have bark mulch in the bottom, only the cups are potting soil.

The last four shots are after transplant you can see the size width difference of all of the large grey pots ( all trinidad scorpions, BTW ), the others in the smaller pots in the plastic container are bhut, chocolate bhut and trinidad scorpions. The tiny little cups are the same with the exception being that I have a pair of white bhuts (I hope), and I tried pairing some of them together to see how they grow, to see if slower or about the same as a single plant. Only time will tell, that's it for now, they will stay in those pots until harvest. I may up-size pots and soil on some if they appear they are still growing. No bugs, fungus, aphids or insects on any one of them thanks to malathion (which I hate btw) but it works. Lets see what happens with these in a couple of months. I fluffed the soil as much as possible before planting and plan to water from the bottom for best root penetration and to keep insects down. They like the damp top soil I guess. A couple of my scorpions in red cups went into shock, none of the others did, I have them under a light, and have not a clue as why only two did and not the others, they came out of clear cups to the larger red ones, that was the only difference I could see. Very odd to say the least. Lastly, what should I be shooting for as far as PH goes ? I plan to buy a meter soon, what is a decent brand and price ?

Ghosty...

It has been almost two weeks and after treating some plants with sevin dust, and carefully cleaning them, leaves top and bottom with warm water.

This is funny, on some I treated with sevin dust, and then wiped some of it off, the residual being on it for the past week or so, get this some of the bug

larvae was right on top of the residual dust. That cracked me up, I have comeo to the conclusion that nothing stops these things, the best you can

do is to keep them at bay, by carefully cleaning them. I have some plants with black spots and leaves have fallen, I am getting some curl on other leaves

on a certain species, as long as it does not result in no buds and flowers I am not too concerned. I am at war with these things, and doing the best I can.

I know I am not the only one running into this problem either, because it happens year after year. They small plants get T5 light 13 hours a day, room temps high

60's and humidity is kept between 40 - 60%. I can only imagine the bug problems I would have if the temps were in the 70's or 80's.

Rhody...

Back