• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Give a shout-out to the most productive variety you've grown...

solid7 said:
For what I've grown, the heaviest producers for me, in my climate are always Fatalii, hands down.  That's really a hard one to beat, and there are several heat and flavor profiles on them.

Aji lemon drop are massive producers, so are Beni Highland, and this year, the surprise that came good, with pods per pound was 7 Pot Burgundy.  It took forever to produce, but when it did, lots of gigantic pods.  Also, Fidalgo Roxa X Grao de Bode has more pods than leaves right now.

I've got a 7 Pot Bubblegum that will produce by the bushel, but to be fair, that plant is going on 3 years old, is actively growing all year round, and is about the size of a medium hedge.  I don't really know what it's potential is, because it got beat down by hurricane this year.

Masher said:
My Fatalii yellow is still in ground...easily 150 harvested off it...pulled a dozen yesterday, still has about 3 dozen greens. Very prolific for a 1st yr plant.

I've got some Fatalii seeds already, in part b/c i have heard they're so dang prolific.  Got the regular Yellows, plus some Creams (thanks, Cone9!) and Whites.   I'm really enthused about those; i have been totally obsessing over the flavor of Yellow Fataliis since i first tried them.  My wife had some Cream Fataliis and that's her current favorite.  Great chiles, regardless; even better if they produce a lot of pods.  (I'm not sure if the Whites and Creams will push out as many as the Yellows?)  

I understand how the overwintering thing can have real advantages.  I'm in NJ, so I won't be able to do as much of that as some of you folks in warmer climes can do it.  I'm hoping to keep a favorite plant or 2 as bonchi, but that's about it....  But, i found this video on the youtube, and DANG!  Those are some productive plants.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rv24Eoiw4  

Have had a few fairly productive ones over the years. Im now leaning towards peppers that are more "usable". The super hots are fun but I cant say I like them for much other than a bit of fun.
This plant is obviously no monster and is still young, but is turning into quite a dense ball of peppers and is very usable :)  obviously only single pod per node as its an annum..but still quite productive..have high hopes for this one. pic is from a few weeks ago so should be substantially better now 

IMG_1345_zpssb2zuvkb.jpg

IMG_1344_zpsosbnshyj.jpg

Argentine said:
I reed on internet that dorset naga is very productive.... I don´t have any seed that were nemed here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YdkmmJeuU
That's a lotta pods on a little plant... impressive!
nzchili said:
Have had a few fairly productive ones over the years. Im now leaning towards peppers that are more "usable". The super hots are fun but I cant say I like them for much other than a bit of fun.
This plant is obviously no monster and is still young, but is turning into quite a dense ball of peppers and is very usable :)  obviously only single pod per node as its an annum..but still quite productive..have high hopes for this one. pic is from a few weeks ago so should be substantially better now 

IMG_1345_zpssb2zuvkb.jpg

IMG_1344_zpsosbnshyj.jpg

there are several that are very productive, 1 very tasty productive pepper i'm surprised i have not heard mentioned yet is Aji Omnicolor.
even when given just a little 3 gallon root pouch that wasn't even full it still did fantastic, another that got left in a bad spot in the yard and neglected all summer even did well 

cuAEFUl.jpg
about 2. 5 gallons
9sJrZ9m.jpg

and when given 5 or more gallons and not neglected they get loaded with pods !

:cheers:

for low heat or  no heat selections that were very productive i'd also recommend Trinidad Perfume (no heat Chinense), Trinidad Cherry (mild-medium heat Chinense), Aji limo rojo (mild-medium heat Baccatum ), Tomato pepper (no heat Annuum), shishito (occasionally mild heat Annuum)

I'm sure i'm forgetting many more that ive grown and was impressed with the amount of pepper pods, but these stand out in my mind from this last year.

1000 pods on a plant sounds nice.... i'll have to develop a greater appreciation for those types of peppers, I guess.  :P I like'm just fine, but i'm not obsessed with them the way i am with Bonnets, Habs, Fataliis, and other chinense types.  But, i'm a fickle guy, plus just starting out as a pepper guy, so who knows what the future may bring?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just pulled the last of all my pods, chocolate hab for chinenese and my orange Thai for annuum. Must have picked over 1000 orange Thai

bpiela said:
I had a lot of luck with a Cabai Burong Undu this year.  It is a purple frutescens.  One plant had over 1000 pods on it.  Insane....  But they are tabasco sizes pods...
PS-  i heard choco habs can throw a lot of pods....  Hoping to get similar results from orange Habs and Congo Trinidads, as i'm not a big fan of chocolates...

Bicycle808 said:
1000 pods on a plant sounds nice.... i'll have to develop a greater appreciation for those types of peppers, I guess.  :P I like'm just fine, but i'm not obsessed with them the way i am with Bonnets, Habs, Fataliis, and other chinense types.  But, i'm a fickle guy, plus just starting out as a pepper guy, so who knows what the future may bring?

PS-  i heard choco habs can throw a lot of pods....  Hoping to get similar results from orange Habs and Congo Trinidads, as i'm not a big fan of chocolates...

I know that there are a lot of variables, and 2 growers can get a world of difference in a grow.  But my general experience has been that my Fataliis will outproduce any variety of my habs by a margin of at least 5 to 1.  It's nothing to have 150 pods at any given time, hanging on a plant in a 5 gallon bag.

I grow certain habs for flavor, and fatalii for my "go-to" pepper. (table sauce, cooking, etc)

I will echo what a few others have said...

- Chocolate Habanero (which is also a long producer for me - still getting pods here)
- Fatalii (my most productive chinense)
- Aji Omnicolor (will grow even in tiny pots and produce a ton of yummy pods)
- Criolla Sella (probably my most prolific ever, and great for drying for nice yellow/orange powders)

Of a side-by-side grow (from this year) of: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Pink Tiger, Shishito, Naglah Brown, Yaki Brown, THSC Black Scorpion Tongue, Fidalgo Roxa, Black Pearl, Black Cobra, Newmex Big Jim, and a Purple Flash, the most productive plants are the Yaki Brown and Black Pearl (totally different types of peppers though), followed by the Shishito, and close behind that is the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.

If we are talking pod count then Trinidad Perfume was #1 performer for me.

If we are talking pod weight then Numex Suave since all the plants I had produced the same heavy way. But I did have 1 Doughlah out of a half doz that shot up to about 4ft and then just threw out so many pods, made about 8-10oz of fine powder. I put it on just about everything. A dab will do ya!

Brocoli said:
If we are talking pod count then Trinidad Perfume was #1 performer for me.

If we are talking pod weight then Numex Suave since all the plants I had produced the same heavy way. But I did have 1 Doughlah out of a half doz that shot up to about 4ft and then just threw out so many pods, made about 8-10oz of fine powder. I put it on just about everything. A dab will do ya!

I'd do a dab!

This yellow rocotto has 50 pods and is still flowering and producing. So next year I'm expecting it to double in size and produce an abundance of peppers for me. My bitdumis rocotto outside has 50 plus flowers and over a 100 pods on it in the ground. So for me this year its my rocottos. Now don't get me wrong my thai and omni produced like crazy but they are much smaller peppers. 

And the heat and flavor of the Rocotto's are quickly becoming one of my favorite peppers to eat and cook with so I'm looking forward to making my first sauce with them.

Attachments

• Rocotto Yellow.jpg
    Rocotto Yellow.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 86
Back