• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

giving up....is hard to do....when u really love some peppers

first season....didnt turn out right....thanks dale and trini and pep3rfreak for the seeds.....plants didnt go right.....tried everything....didnt make it...misspelled so many words...

wondering if anyone has some backup plants they want to sell/give away....if this is taboo in this community then i apologize.....looking especially for super hots....but will take anything hot..........powders or dried peppers are ok too......just turned 36 2 days ago...should be happy but i gots no hots:(

Go Cubs

Thats too bad.

This is my first year too and I hope my plants make it. I can sympathize with you. The wind snapped one of my plants the other day. It hurt real bad :(

I'm in chicago.......if anyone had anything for sale... I have a ups account through my company....i can email a label for shipping....thanks for the support.....they started off so well....didn't get into trouble....straight A's in germination school.....(ph)balanced upbringing.....guess they fell victim to the chemical stuff (or maybe lack thereof)

Hmmmm guess your pepper growing is just like the Cubs playing baseball! They always start good...but then only disappoint!

Go Sox!

So what happened anyway? What kind of soil did you use? How big were they before they kicked the bucket? What kinds of fertlizers did you use? Were they under lights? Were they exposed to cold temperatures?

Anyway...also a first timer here...I had 8 good looking Bhuts, but down to 5 after giving 3 away. Not willing to part with anymore at this time. My young plants were very purple and not looking good..gave them some Start-N-Grow...and WOW they look nice now...about 7-8 inches tall. But it has been a learning experience for me. I was told by one website to use cactus soil to start them in and NOT jiffy pellets. The cactus soil sucked...perhaps lack of right nutrients...I disobeyed and used Jiffy pellets...guess what...100% germination and they those plants look the best by far. Dang..I thought I could trust the internet. lol

check the records ddrsheden......good thing chicago is windy.....cause the sux stink.........

i started them in pro-mix bx ......gave root stimulator at transplant (after 2nd set of real leaves)....they were growing fine.....watered every 8-10 days......bottom watered in double cup..... ( i did leave the plant cup in the drain cup....maybe that was a no go?) plants were on a heat mat with flouro tubes 12-16 hrs per day (each fixture had one "daylight" and one "sunlight" bulb......scorpions and doulaghs had about 6pr leaves everything started turning yellow and then white.....tried epson salt and fish emulsion ...kept getting white....(some are as pale as ozzy osborne...)haven't seen any growth in at least 12 days.....checked ph.....got 7s in every cup....leaves started curling inward......i guess technically they aren't dead yet but leaves are falling off, there has been no improvement and i don't know what else to do or try.....tried superthrive (strangely i like the smell of that) ......will probably still throw them in the pots that i bought and sit them outside and see if anything happens.....but it doesn't look like they are gonna grow... seeds planted about the first of april

Go Cubs!!!

Check the records? hmmm it has been...gosh...100 years since the cubs won a world series! Anyway, I'm hoping to get to Chicago to see a Sox game this summer. Haven't been to a game in Chicago since the spring of '02, just before we moved here to Bushnell. I miss the big city.

Well with the detailed growing information that you posted, I'm sure you will get plenty of advice. Since you were watering in a double cup....if the roots were in the cup with water...that could have done it...maybe to much water. One of my kids started a flower at 4H..it was doing good and then the leaves turned white. It was planted in a double cup and noticed a pile of roots setting in the water.

I'm thinking it also might be the roots in water. Some pics would give the more experienced folks on this forum a better idea what's happening to your plants. Sorry this happened.:(
Don't give up. See it as a learning experience

mrwicks,

Like others, I'm sorry to hear about your plight. Before you toss them into the compost bin, you might try this. First, turn off the heat. By this time of the year, you shouldn't need supplemental heating.

Second, grab a couple of multivitamins, such as A to Zinc. Grind them up into powder (I use two tablespoons and out one at a time between them.

Add one cup of water, warm in a microwave until almost everything is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature then apply one teaspoon to each plant, as close to the stalk as you can get it. If you can find some ammonia nitrate add a tiny bit of it to the mixture. Give the plants a couple of days then mix up a ammonia nitrate solution (I dissolve about an ounce of powder in a cup of water then add it to about two quarts of water) and wet the soil.

I've brought a few plants back to life doing this, but no guarantees.

BTW, Chicago is one of my most favorite cities, especially downtown. It's magnificent.

Back