• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gnat Nix

Anyone use this stuff?  I was at a local hydro store today and they had this stuff and the salesguy was pushing it saying that it works great for one of his other customers.  I couldn't tell if he was selling me a bridge or not.  It is a little costly....

I bought a 11W insect lamp which I run 24/7. Especially at night in the first 3 days I had a lot of kills. I don't have any flying around any more (after two weeks). Investment was 8 euro = 10 bucks.. zero poison used.

I've heard good things about gnat nix but haven't used it. I got sticky traps which work ok but are really sticky and like to stick to things. 

After fighting an epic battle with the gnats in my house, and finally winning after trying everything in the book, I have discovered the key to stopping them is to cover the soil with sand (or alternatively a very chunky medium like bark) and make sure there is no standing water under the pots after you water. You have to leave them with zero places to lay eggs. I thought just the sand had done the trick, but found out after I lifted a plant to move it that larvae and gnats were living off the dirty water pooled in the grooves of the tray underneath.

Gnat nix looks like a sand-like soil topping that will achieve the same effect as sand, based on the reviews, but save your money and just use sand.

Insecticides can work very well for house plants, but gnats will always come back if you don't address the root causes, plus I would never subject an edible plant to that. Sticky traps, neem oil, vinegar, and remedies like that will only reduce numbers.

Good luck with your fight!

Azamax soil drench seemed to work just ok. After how effective it was on spider mites and aphids i was really hoping that it would kill off the fungus gnats but no. Peroxide works ok but it seemed like the plants I treated it with last year show signs of serious nutrient deficiencies. 

Back