• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gnat Problem

While cleaning the room with my plants in yesterday I found another slightly fun way to get rid of a fairly large amount of gnats. I used the hose attachment on the vacuum cleaner to suck them out the air, I noticed within a few seconds of knocking a pot that alot of gnats would come out the soil and start flying around, unfortunately for them it would be there last flight. You have to be careful not to get the vacuum hose to close to the plants or you will end up with some missing leaves, also not to close to the soil or you will start to lose that too. I think I got over 100 gnats in a few minutes. I will have another go today

Used these from Home depot. Sprinkled about half a teaspoon in the water tubs and within 1-2 days not even 1 flying gnat around, compared to swarms of them flying around everywhere before treatment... Annoying insect for sure...
Says approved for organic gardening, and as the BTI is naturally occurring in soils, seems like an ok option for my organic garden that works very very well.

mosquito-bits-insect-killer-granules-117-6-64_1000.jpg

post-15502-0-03848900-1563470506.jpg

Number one method to prevent insects while growing indoors:  do not use dirt, rather use coir or clay pebbles

Number two method to prevent insects while growing indoors:  use a fan

Number three method to prevent insects while growing indoors, if you insist on using dirt:  keep a layer of sand on top of the dirt

Also, do not bring potted plants from stores inside your house and especially not anywhere near your chilis. If you buy chilis in dirt, wash the rootball and plant them in coir.

Source:  last time I had an insect on my indoor grow was 11 years ago. Nuff said.

Back