• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

going hydro

well i finally decided to go hydro .. i have all the lighting needed but need to find someone that makes home made hydro systems in australia.. does anyone here know were i can get a hydro setup like the one below ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUN_SzLN5tg

keep in mind i live in australia.

i guess i could try have a go at making one but im very new at all this and would rather find a pre- built setup for 6 to 8 plants.

have u checked ur local hydro store maybe some one there builds them just a thought there not to tough to build just need the pots and a little rock i used small lava rock alot cheaper than expanded clay i made one out of a coffee can and a yogurt cup that i drilled holes in just to get my feet wet

Good onya frisky DWC and SWC are the best hydro setups in my opinion. Good on you for having a crack at making a system cause they're not hard to make and the stores will charge you an arm and a leg for one of theirs. If you need sa cheap online source for nutes shoot me a PM and will steer you in the rite direction.

Good onya frisky DWC and SWC are the best hydro setups in my opinion. Good on you for having a crack at making a system cause they're not hard to make and the stores will charge you an arm and a leg for one of theirs. If you need sa cheap online source for nutes shoot me a PM and will steer you in the rite direction.
thanks champ, will keep you in mind :)

just make sure you get a good air pump, i use the dual topfin 4000 and the only other advice would be to purchase extra airstones - they tend to clog up after awhile.

just make sure you get a good air pump, i use the dual topfin 4000 and the only other advice would be to purchase extra airstones - they tend to clog up after awhile.
One lesson I had to learn was get heavy air stones. Simple thing that will make life easy

It all depends on how big the buckets are. Say you use 20 litre buckets it will hold approximately 15 litres of water. EG your system has 5 buckets so 5x15=75litres.
Now what ever system you use you want the air pump to be rated at half the amount of total litres of water re 75/2= 35litre per min. But something a bit bigger never hurts lol.

It all depends on how big the buckets are. Say you use 20 litre buckets it will hold approximately 15 litres of water. EG your system has 5 buckets so 5x15=75litres.
Now what ever system you use you want the air pump to be rated at half the amount of total litres of water re 75/2= 35litre per min. But something a bit bigger never hurts lol.
so that pump will be more then enough haha ..thanks champ :)

also.. what water should i use ? will tap water be ok ? and how often do i need to refresh the water/nutrients ?

Tap water is fine just make sure you buy a pH and EC meter for testing the nutrients/reservoir. As to changeouts once a fornight is about right, just top up with pH corrected water in that time. You want your pH to start at 5.6 and slowly drift up to 6.0. But thats in a perfect world this is a cheat sheet to explain the pH/EC patterns.
Ec/PPM goes up, PH goes down=plants require less nutes.
Ec/PPM goes down, PH goes up=Plants require more nutes
Ec/PPM stable, PH goes up=Equilibrium=Good thing.

Tap water is fine just make sure you buy a pH and EC meter for testing the nutrients/reservoir. As to changeouts once a fornight is about right, just top up with pH corrected water in that time. You want your pH to start at 5.6 and slowly drift up to 6.0. But thats in a perfect world this is a cheat sheet to explain the pH/EC patterns.
Ec/PPM goes up, PH goes down=plants require less nutes.
Ec/PPM goes down, PH goes up=Plants require more nutes
Ec/PPM stable, PH goes up=Equilibrium=Good thing.
thanks for explaining all that to me champ :)

here is my first crack at making a deep water culture setup
so far so good .. no leaks and i decided to add a reservoir. at first i wanted to use buckets but could not find any at bunnings and the hydro store only had small buckets .. so i decided to use storage containers and later switch to bigger buckets so the roots don't grow into each other.

if anything don't look right please let me know and ill fix it.

ps. i still need to cut the holes a little bigger for the pots to fit in so there level with the lid.

:P Cool bananas bro!! Thats pretty much the same as my tubs and I use the GH Flora series too, a tried and true nutrient for sure. Just don't follow the directions on the bottle only use about half what they say otherwise you will burn your plants. cya

:P Cool bananas bro!! Thats pretty much the same as my tubs and I use the GH Flora series too, a tried and true nutrient for sure. Just don't follow the directions on the bottle only use about half what they say otherwise you will burn your plants. cya
ok will give that a try. ill pick up a ph meter tomorrow but what is a ec meter and what does it do ?

also i will be getting a much larger grow tent for indoors now that my old grow tent is way to small even for 2 tubs lol

EC stands for elctroconductivity. THe meter measures the amount of salts in the water, which is basically how much nutrients is in there. Here's a link to probably one of the cheapest places for hydro in OZ.
http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322
It will take you to their EC meters but alot of their stuff is half the price to some hydro stores. Should be able to get a cheap quality tent through them to. Now your almost setup now you will need a bottle of "Dutchmaster Zone" (in the linked store in nutes section) this stuff kills all the bacteria in your resiviour otherwise you will end up with shit like root rot. Then your ready to rock n roll bro!!

EC stands for elctroconductivity. THe meter measures the amount of salts in the water, which is basically how much nutrients is in there. Here's a link to probably one of the cheapest places for hydro in OZ.
http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322
It will take you to their EC meters but alot of their stuff is half the price to some hydro stores. Should be able to get a cheap quality tent through them to. Now your almost setup now you will need a bottle of "Dutchmaster Zone" (in the linked store in nutes section) this stuff kills all the bacteria in your resiviour otherwise you will end up with shit like root rot. Then your ready to rock n roll bro!!
thanks a ton bro. I bookmarked the store and will do just that :fireball:

thanks for being so helpful mate. :)

You can make it cheap and simpler than this guy's build in the video (if you dont have to buy tools or odd sized hole saw rigs)

TIP: Make sure you buy some aluminum tape and coat the top tray. Use the kind thats metal with a sticky back. You dont want any surface light penetrating into the water. The sides are less affected because of the angle of most lights, but you can also wrap them in insulation to keep the water temperatures stable. warm water tends to breed problems and kill roots. Its more important to shield the top. Even if its a black tub top, light can still penetrate the thin plastics they make these from.

thanks a ton bro. I bookmarked the store and will do just that :fireball:

thanks for being so helpful mate. :)
Your :welcome: , just like to help people and treat people how I like to be treated. Thought I'd give you a head start with the info cause it's taken me a couple years of growing and too many hours spent on internet forums getting to where I am now but I've still got a long way to go yet. :P

Back