Going to use grow bags this season

Hophead said:
Yeah these have gotten popular at my work in the last two years. We mostly sell the brand called Geo Pots and i will post a link with lots of info about growing in fabric pots in general. They are hard to clean and even more so if you have a few 100 of them i know one guy who bought a used cement mixer he throws in a few 100 geo pots with some rocks and bleach and lets it run for a few hours. Other people if you only own a few dozen gets a baby pool and a broom stick lol most people i talk to don't wanna use the washing machine.

If you are gonna buy a few different sizes and transplant them make sure you get the velcro seem or its gonna be a pain to get them out.

http://www.geopot.com/pages/advantages
My hydro guy is selling the Geopots as well. They seem like they have decent construction and as I understand it they are a little thicker than the others. I'm not sure how much he's selling them for, but he recommended even trying making them myself. I'm not sure I'll go that far, but I'm only looking at 10 plants and under this year so even a 50/50 split to see how they perform compared to pots could be done. I still have a few months to decide though.

Neil

Proud Marine Dad said:
Why? They are nothing but plastic bags. You could use nursery pots and achieve the same results. A fabric bag is much better as it air prunes the roots so that the plant does not become root bound as it can in other materials like smooth plastic.

they are about 3 times cheaper, can put them closer together, easier to store.

I wouldn't mind having fabric but they are pretty expensive, especially if you have over 20 plants.

i'm not over wintering so i don't mind if they are rootbound by end of season.

I'm going to be using Root Pouches for the first time this year, as well.  I bought mine from here : http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-grey-fabric-pot-3-4-year/growing-pouches-and-bags
I bought the 3-4 year variety.  They also have ones with shorter and longer lifespans.

I bought some of the 1-pint-sized ones.  Still trying to figure out how to stand those suckers up when I start using them.  I already pretty much have decided I'm going to have to cut them up to get the plants out and pot up if I use them. lol.

Noah Yates said:
Has anyone ever tried making their own growbags using burlap?... Ive been thinking for a few years about doing just that.
Why don't I know your user name? American psycho? No... Wtf?
Anyway, I've seen it done but can't compare since I've never used the purchased bags.

impending_bending said:
Why don't I know your user name? American psycho? No... Wtf?
Huh?... wtf indeed... I just watched american psycho last night for the first time rofl.... youve got me doubly confused :eh: :shocked:

Proud Marine Dad said:
Burlap rots too fast I wouldn't waste my time.
I work around coffee in burlap every day and I have seen how fast Iit comes apart. Mold grows easily on it as well.
Your right! I tried experimenting with the burlap on a few plants last year and it didn't even make it through half the season before it completely disintegrated.  Might try some fabric pots this year as well, as it seemed some of my plants shut down early last year due to being root bound.

I've contemplated making my own geopots out of landscape fabric, but for the small amount that I'd use this year I doubt it's worth it. I'll probably just pick up a few and see how they compare to regular plastic pots.

Blister said:
I've contemplated making my own geopots out of landscape fabric, but for the small amount that I'd use this year I doubt it's worth it. I'll probably just pick up a few and see how they compare to regular plastic pots.
I was going to try that as well as there are good instructions on a cannabis growing site that shows you how to do it but for the price of the fabric bags from the site I bought them from I don't think it's cost effective. Maybe if someone was on a real tight budget it would be worth it but for me the savings is not that great unless you are making really big grow bags like 20 gallon or larger.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I was going to try that as well as there are good instructions on a cannabis growing site that shows you how to do it but for the price of the fabric bags from the site I bought them from I don't think it's cost effective. Maybe if someone was on a real tight budget it would be worth it but for me the savings is not that great unless you are making really big grow bags like 20 gallon or larger.

Do you have an idea of where I could acquire affordable pond underlayment in order to make 15 gallon fabric pots. I plan on having maybe 15 pots... Since I'm in Montreal, it is currently off season and I have trouble finding something better than 2.5oz weed blocking geotextile.

In you guys opinions, should I use icmag technique (cannabis) folding a single rectangle peace of fabric, OR using something like PepperGuru used, a circle for bottom zigzag stitched to a rectangle circled around?

Thanks,
TEURF

Teurf said:

Do you have an idea of where I could acquire affordable pond underlayment in order to make 15 gallon fabric pots. I plan on having maybe 15 pots... Since I'm in Montreal, it is currently off season and I have trouble finding something better than 2.5oz weed blocking geotextile.

In you guys opinions, should I use icmag technique (cannabis) folding a single rectangle peace of fabric, OR using something like PepperGuru used, a circle for bottom zigzag stitched to a rectangle circled around?

Thanks,
TEURF

There is a place in Ontario that sells the stuff. Online store. Here: http://www.petsandponds.com/en/ponds-and-supplies/c5815/p16268541.html Took me a long time to find these guys. Cheapest place to get it this side of the border as far as I can tell.

I was thinking about doing this, but I'm thinking now that I will just use grocery/walmart bags.

Edit: And if I ever do make my own I'd use a cylinder design... 1 circle 1 long rectangle 2 seams. Use an online calculator to get the dimensions and volume you're looking for, it's pretty easy to figure out.

AaronRiot said:

There is a place in Ontario that sells the stuff. Online store. Here: http://www.petsandponds.com/en/ponds-and-supplies/c5815/p16268541.html Took me a long time to find these guys. Cheapest place to get it this side of the border as far as I can tell.

I was thinking about doing this, but I'm thinking now that I will just use grocery/walmart bags.

Edit: And if I ever do make my own I'd use a cylinder design... 1 circle 1 long rectangle 2 seams. Use an online calculator to get the dimensions and volume you're looking for, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Thanks for the site, I calculated that for 15 gallon pots, with the cylinder design, I would be ok with a piece of 10' x 20'. Depending on the thickness of the film, 4oz,6oz,8oz, it would be between 45$ and 67$. This is the site from which I calculated.

http://www.diywatergardening.com/non-woven-geotextile-fabric-underlayment-ponds-erosion-drainage.html

I also have to take into consideration for the price, the potting mix, black earth, dolomite, compost, gear for compost tea, kelp meal, perlite, vermiculite.

I'm starting to rethink the size of my operation... :'(

Thanks buddy,
Teurf

True Beerswimmer. I really need a 10 gal plastic nursery pot to compare but I think the evidences I have seen are clear that a fabric bag is superior since it cannot become rootbound.

Back