• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun Gold or coppery sheen on some leaves after a few hours of full sun

Hi guys, today was a nice warm day up here in Toronto so I thought maybe I'd pull my plants outside for 3-4 hours and then pull them back ... I'm guessing it was too much heat because some have a coppery or goldish color to the top of the leaves. Maybe I should have started with only an hour and then a few days later extend it to a couple and then keep upping it like that?

BTW they are normally in my kitchen by a large windows so in addition to sun coming through the window and hitting the plants, I do have some lights as well. I guess thats not even close to full sun.

So did I kill those leaves or will they end up fine?

Classic sun scald. The plants will probably end up dropping most of the leaves, but will quickly begin growing new ones in short order. Nothing to worry about, just be careful not to over water them when they don't have any leaves.

Silver_Surfer said:
Absolutely

Its tough after thinking about it because I'm at work all day so the weekend is the only time I have watch the plants. I'm assuming that sun scald only hurts the current leaves, but the new ones to come out would be adjusted to the heat ... or doesnt quite work that way?

Matt Berry said:
Classic sun scald. The plants will probably end up dropping most of the leaves, but will quickly begin growing new ones in short order. Nothing to worry about, just be careful not to over water them when they don't have any leaves.

I wonder if getting some of those stupid aquaglobe things might be a good idea for pots outside. Might be a good safety measure to make sure things dont dry too quickly and its a good way for me to watch the water consumption of the plants.

svtcontour said:
Its tough after thinking about it because I'm at work all day so the weekend is the only time I have watch the plants. I'm assuming that sun scald only hurts the current leaves, but the new ones to come out would be adjusted to the heat ... or doesnt quite work that way?

The new leaves will be more adjusted to the new environment, but you should still gradually acclimate the plant. If you can't be there to move them, try and find a spot that will become shaded after a short period in the sun. When mine first get moved outdoors its into a shady spot with very little or no direct sun and partially wind sheltered. The plant needs to be gradually acquainted with the new temp swings, wind and sun and you don't have to introduce it to all of them at once.

Silver_Surfer said:
When mine first get moved outdoors its into a shady spot with very little or no direct sun and partially wind sheltered. The plant needs to be gradually acquainted with the new temp swings, wind and sun and you don't have to introduce it to all of them at once.

+1 - spot on - that's exactly what I do.

Your plants should be able to make it through the day without the extra water from an aquaglobe. Even with the temps in the 80's - 90 here and my plants in black pots, on a concrete patio or stones, they still don't require more then a good watering every day or two.

Your plants will grow new leaves that will be use to the new environment, they will look ugly for a little bit, but they will bounce back very quickly. Some of my plants, after spending all winter in the basement, looked kind of rough. A few of them even dropped the last few remaining leaves they had, but they are already putting on a lot of new growth, and look really nice. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, they will be fine.

Back