• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Golden Cayenne Peppers

I got excellent germination from all of my seeds this spring, except for my golden cayennes. ZERO of the seeds germinated, which is puzzling because I treated them like everything else I planted: same starter mix, indoors, same trays, same time, etc. It's been over a month. Are my seeds cooked or is there a trick for promoting germination from stubborn seeds?

So far I have had no problems in germinating choc habs, scotch bonnets, big jims, jalapenos, serranos, red cayennes, etc.

That being said, I live in Birmingham, Alabama and if anyone knows of any plant stores that might have specialty peppers I'd love to know. I found some seedlings on chileplants.com but I don't need to order 12 plants, and that's the minimum order size. Any help or advice/leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would dig a couple of the golden cayenne seeds up and see what they look like. They may be molded and basically composted by now. If so, dump them all and go to plan B. If they still look viable, maybe replant them or just change the way you are germinating them. Try more or less heat, longer or shorter heat cycles, etc...

Thanks for the replies. I did dig up two of the squares earlier and found

A) seeds that looked just the way they did when I planted them

B) seeds that had "dissolved" into just their shells.

I had hope for them, but I think at this point I'll try to find some plants or new seeds. Might have to wait til next year to try them.

Lord, here they are

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-peppers/pepper-hot-yellow-cayenne-hyb-prod002107.html?catId=3028&trail=

the hot lemons look more intriguing though....

Back