• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Good Looking Pods Rotten

Im asking this as last year I was often disappointed at harvest. The question is, when harvest time arrives and you have a load of various pods that all look stunning, why are some rotten / black on the inside ? This has led me To having to handle ever pod to cut it in half to do a visual inspection regardless of my intentions for the pods, drying , freezing, blending etc. is there a method to determine the bad apple to avoid the extra labour ? Considering there isn't enough work at that time. Nothing worse than popping a few frozen or fresh whole pods into a meal and find out the inards are bad.
Suggestions ??

I think you have it figured out. I cut every pod in half when processing. You just can't tell what is on the inside without looking.

did you notice any maggots inside? they could be missed very easily. I had a problem with pepper maggots last year that when they eat the inside the pepper looks rotten. but most of them drop before they mature

You'll see some every once in a while, but it shouldn't be that many if you're doing everything right and mother nature is on your side.

If I see that something has bored into it I toss it. Only ever see one maggot slug type critter inside one. Wondering about the calcium though..

Back