• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Good medium hot pepper you would recommend

Hi everyone. New member and glad I found this site. I'm looking to add a few hotter peppers to my garden this year so I'm looking for recommendations on what to plant and where to buy seeds. I haven't grown hot peppers before, only bells. I have Jalapeno M and Anaheim Chili seeds that I ordered but would also like to plant something a little bit hotter. I was thinking along the lines
of Cayenne and Tabasco. Nothing that would blow your head off but have a bit of kick to them. All help is appreciated!

Charlotte pepper - all the way!

Hotter than a serrano (which are also awesome if you like hot but not painful) but not quite as hot as an habanero. About the same as a cayenne but more flavorful.

Choc hab (alt congo black) is the best hab, so if you are thinking of trying a habanero, try that. Will get you used to growing chinenses if you choose to do so in the future too.
Some milder south american chillies around, like a mild white and a mild brown chinense too.
Otherwise, yeah, look at Ajis, some nice flavoured ones too.
I'm trying to grow some aji pineapple at the moment, and criolla sella.
My bolivian rojos are useless, none germinated

Super Chili

you guys recommending habaneros are going to burn the newcomer up...unless he eats orange habaneros

Agree with ^ on fresno, like them better than jalapenos. Serranos are under appreciated on THP. They are my go to for salsa and drying for powder; also very prolific. Also consider a relatively hotter Numex like Big Jim. Can't go wrong with a Aji lemon/limon, nice citrus favor with moderate heat and very prolific. My 2 cents.

Merry Christmas!

I thought everybody goes from Jalapenos to Habaneros?

Actually, jalapenos to T.S. Butch T's. Eat'em like candy :lol:

Hello , I would recommend the Aji Dulce de Venezuela its fruity and little spicy. Like the Habanero it is in the Capsicum Chinense family. It may be a good way to step into the wonderful world of the Habanero !!! Chinense peppers may need to be started in the next week or so, as the blooms would be hitting in May. Good luck and welcome to THP !!!

Welcome G92K, I would agree with Super Chili and Fresno. Would also add Lemon Drop or Aji Limon and Inca Red Drop to the list.

Mike

inca red drops are TASTY! and pinguta de mono is a VERY prolific plant with little pods that are a little hotter than serano! other than that my experiences are mainly super hots.

Thanks for the recommendations! So far I've ordered seeds for Big Jim, Fresno, Serrano and Cayenne in addition to the Jalapeno M and Anaheim Chili seeds I got earlier. It seems like I should get some Aji seeds also.

Charlotte pepper - all the way!

Hotter than a serrano (which are also awesome if you like hot but not painful) but not quite as hot as an habanero. About the same as a cayenne but more flavorful.
busamadman do you have a link to where I can find this pepper? Doing a search I couldn't find anything about it. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for - hot but not painfull

you guys recommending habaneros are going to burn the newcomer up...unless he eats orange habaneros
LOL no worries AJ. I've researched the hots somewhat so I know what's out of my league for now lol. This is only our second year growing our own peppers so I don't want to dive into the super hots just yet. It was actually my youngest that wants some Jalapenos that got me into this quest. When he was 2 or so he got into a jar of them and was eating them like candy ;)

I like ajis. Also, serrano is one of the most versatile medium heat peppers out there. Thai's are very prolific and I would say fall at the upper end of medium heat as well.

The Aji Rojo produced the best medium hot powder for me this season. An excellent smoky flavor, easy to grow, nice big pods. Not a pepper to eat raw, though, IMO. I'm going to try the Aji Amarillo and Aji Limon to get further into the Aji scheme of things next grow.... :cool:

I agree with the recommendations for the fresno and the superchile. You might also consider the fish pepper. Nice medium heat and it is a beautiful plant.

Back