• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Good news for the Brazilian Starfish

I have a few Brazilian Yellow Starfish and a few Aji Brazilian Starfish started. They'll be going into the ground in about 2 weeks.

obeychase said:
but the pot next to it (the black pot) is 3 gallons.

Hopefully this guy will grow into a tree!!

I've never had the B. Starfish but I have around 5 plants growing. They were my fastest to sprout and one of the most vigorous in growth in general. So I like them for that reason alone. From what I understand they will grow quite large if given the space/time. I'm putting mine in 5-7 gallons and possibly 1 in the ground.

I'm just gonna guess that your pot is a 10 gallon. Can you post a pic from a different angle?
skullbiker said:
I have a few Brazilian Yellow Starfish.

Have you tasted one yet? If so can you compare it to the red one?

Looks like a plant to add to my next year patio garden.  Thanks for posting this!

I have some seeds if you're interested :)

I've never had the B. Starfish but I have around 5 plants growing. They were my fastest to sprout and one of the most vigorous in growth in general. So I like them for that reason alone. From what I understand they will grow quite large if given the space/time. I'm putting mine in 5-7 gallons and possibly 1 in the ground.

I'm just gonna guess that your pot is a 10 gallon. Can you post a pic from a different angle?

Have you tasted one yet? If so can you compare it to the red one?

I'm gonna post a pic in a sec of the pepper stems and the pot.

This plant was pruned and even without pruning, it grew bushy. The plant has no main stem so PODS PODS PODS!!

A friend of mine has a bit of a brown thumb when it comes to growing most things, but her brazilian starfish has nice bulbous pods set just waiting to ripen already! Great little plant it seems. May have to snag some seeds from her.

I'm growing a couple of those this year, so far they are doing well. I'd never eaten one before, but got a box of pods from Wicked Mike the other day and got to try some. It's a very good pepper, I can see lots of uses for it.

nzchili said:
If that's a 10 gallon pot, you probably only have about 5 or 6 gallons of dirt in there. IMO you should fill that sucker up to within about an inch of the top with dirt  ;)
No point in having a big pot only half full,
Looking good though  ;)
Yeah, it could get twice as big all filled up.

nzchili said:
If that's a 10 gallon pot, you probably only have about 5 or 6 gallons of dirt in there. IMO you should fill that sucker up to within about an inch of the top with dirt  ;)
Looking good though  ;)

I was going to say the exact same thing. Dig that sucker up (carefully!) fill with dirt, and plant it back in! Take full advantage of that big pot! Your plant will thank you for the extra leg room!

Looking good though  ;)

I have no more money for soil :(
Oh is there drainage holes in that bad boy? I have one that looks similar and I had to drill some in.

Yeah there's drainage holes
Pot's only half full, dude!  :)

No more money right now!!

Back