• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Good Soil and Nutes

SpeakPolish said:
Hey guys, I am pretty new to gardening and was wondering what would a good pot soil mixture be? I am also wondering what a good nutrient solution and a good pot size would be?
Hi. I like to grow everything organically. I think fox farm ocean forest soil is a great soil to use. Or black gold. Stick with organic nutrients from Roots Organic, Fox Farm, or a compost tea. Stay away from chemicals like miracle gro. A 5 gallon smart pot would be good too. This is the kind of things I use for growing Trinidad scorpions, Red Habeneros, and Carolina Reapers. Works pretty good, and the peppers taste great. But there are many different growing styles. Everyone's different.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

SpeakPolish said:
Hey guys, I am pretty new to gardening and was wondering what would a good pot soil mixture be? I am also wondering what a good nutrient solution and a good pot size would be?

I've had good luck with soil and nutrients from both Fox Farm and Roots Organics.  Lots of members post their own soil mixes.  I just don't have the time/space. 

I grew in a 50 gallon grow bag this year.  It was a bit much.  Maybe start in the 10-20 gallon grow bag range?  You can always transplant to a larger pot if you want to go bigger.  It has been my experience that it is more difficult to go smaller. 

Happy growing!

SpeakPolish said:
Hey guys, I am pretty new to gardening and was wondering what would a good pot soil mixture be?
`
IMO, there is no soil suitable for pots as it compacts horribly, unless it's mega amended.
`
SpeakPolish said:
I am also wondering what a good nutrient solution
`
If you're using soil outdoors whatever you're currently using? If you're switching to media, I use DYNA-GRO products.
`
SpeakPolish said:
and a good pot size would be?
`
Any size works  but I prefer 5 gal. buckets, see below, for maximum growth/fruit production.
`
YzljfQk.jpg

`
`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
Any size works  but I prefer 5 gal. buckets, see below, for maximum growth/fruit production.
`
YzljfQk.jpg

`
`
3.25$ a pot for a true 5 gallon container at lowes (plus 10% off for military), can’t beat that with a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i mix in compost every year to my soil and chicken pellets.  Might switch it up this year and add more peat moss and compost, maybe some rock dust.  

Reactorpwr said:
3.25$ a pot for a true 5 gallon container at lowes (plus 10% off for military), can’t beat that with a stick.
Not to burst you're bubble but I've never paid for a bucket in my life and I have quite a few. Most of mine are from the late 90's early 2000's and other than the little round handles cracking and breaking off they're still usable. Collected them from various places, at construction sites I drive past and just stop in and ask for them....food grade buckets are not recyclable so hospitals, bakeries, doughnut shops and others either use their dumpster or give them to you.> Free 5 Gallon Buckets With Lids

Hope this helps!
NECM

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Not to burst you're bubble but I've never paid for a bucket in my life and I have quite a few. Most of mine are from the late 90's early 2000's and other than the little round handles cracking and breaking off they're still usable. Collected them from various places, at construction sites I drive past and just stop in and ask for them....food grade buckets are not recyclable so hospitals, bakeries, doughnut shops and others either use their dumpster or give them to you.> Free 5 Gallon Buckets With Lids

Hope this helps!
NECM
+ 1 for this. I've got a bunch of buckets as well and while I can't say that ive never paid for any, Ive gotten a lot for free or dang near. The Walmart near me re-sells 5 gallon buckets from their bakery for a buck a piece. Also, habitat for humanity has a local re-store that sells them for .25, not a bad deal.

I grow organically in pots. I mixed equal parts of cheap potting mix, mushroom compost and sheeps manure and added a cup of smashed charcoal and a half part of malted barley. I then keep it mulched up to the top of the pot with pine bark shreddings

This was incredibly cheap, about $10 per pot. The pots are in their 3rd year now and have never manifested any sort of nutrient issue or bug problem. I make sure there is always a living root in the pot. So during the winter there is usually some sort of grass growing in there as well

Back