• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Gooey BSF Larvae compost

Drying BSF compost is much worse than drying tar. This particular tub has been drying in the sun since May 1.

May 1

UuAfb3X.jpg

June 6

OuNCp1p.jpg

Not much progress. I have two tubs of this stuff drying. I want to chop it up finely and mix with three tubs of more conventional compost that I infused with all of the liquids and rinsate from my two, 15 gallon sleeved BSF compost buckets . These three tubs dried up very nicely a long time ago.

3PI80QB.jpg

All the info on BSF composting is about how to set it up, make it work, harvest the bugs etc. but nobody says how you're supposed to turn this goo into a friendly fertilizer product. It's amazing how long it takes this stuff to dry but it's not only a whole bunch of BSFL poop but all of the larvae bodies from years past that weren't consumed before the last of them finally finished the cycle that began in 2019. Time to start over again. Got one going already plus I have another five gallons of this goo the BSF larvae already processed this spring from our winter food waste and coffee grounds I dumped in a bucket.

Anybody know how to make something pretty out of this drek?

That sludge needs oxigen to complete the composting proces. Giving it air will help get rid of nasty ammonia and sulfide compounds that are byproducts of anaerobic composting and will give it a more usefull structure. Oxigen and the aerobic organisms are also needed to make the nutrients available for the plants. You could try to mix it up with "normal" compost or even some fine woodfibers, sand or whatever as long as it allows air in the mixture, spread it out let it dry, smash it up and repeat if necessary.

Reactions: DWB
That sludge needs oxigen to complete the composting proces. Giving it air will help get rid of nasty ammonia and sulfide compounds that are byproducts of anaerobic composting and will give it a more usefull structure. Oxigen and the aerobic organisms are also needed to make the nutrients available for the plants. You could try to mix it up with "normal" compost or even some fine woodfibers, sand or whatever as long as it allows air in the mixture, spread it out let it dry, smash it up and repeat if necessary.

Thanks. That makes sense. I suppose I should stir it a lot more often with my hoe.

I definitely have to dry it and it break it up before I mix it with those three tubs of grass clipping/horse manure compost. I can see that turning into something like concrete

Back