• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Got aphids? Get praying mantii!

I thought my plant was doomed. A baby 7 Pot Brain.
It was looking stunted and my world had collapsed in a matter of seconds as I lifted the leaves to see what was there and saw little green bugs dropping to the soil.
What's a man to do?
I found the baby praying mantis lurking on one of my tomatoes and transferred it and isolated it (Is that what I am supposed to do?)
I checked back 2 minutes later and it had already started munching on an aphid.
I've squashed a few of the others and chucked away the infected leaves which are falling off anyway.
What do they actually do?

I'm a tad confused, as you seem to have already answered your own question!

Yeah, praying mantis and ladybug = good aphid resolution.

yeah baby.. where are those wasps when you need one.. busboy.. wasp.. stoopid car guy at rhw auto parts store.. wasp... lazy checkout girl..wasp.. we need more wasps

Praying mantis are my favourite animals ever. We don't have them in England, but plenty in Japan.
However, the season they are alive for is extremely short, despite the fact they will be brilliant guardians for plants.

I was blessed last season to have several Praying Mantii in my peppers. Some had egg sacs on them. It was a great season, no predators to report. Mantii and ladybugs rule!

Back