• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Got some serious leaf cupping going on...

So I managed to get all my prized seedlings into their 5 gallon buckets, and they all look really healthy, but most if not all have some serious leaf cupping going on. I know all about the chinense and their need for calcium, but I mixed bonemeal straight into the potting soil i used. Perhaps it was not enough or the roots haven't found any bone meal yet?

Here is the mix I used:

3.5 gallons Pro Mix BX
1/2 Gallon Worm Castings
1/2 Gallon Perlite
1/2 cup Bonemeal
1/2 cup Green Sand
3 TBSP Kelp Meal

I mixed the extra fertilizers in b/c I am a lazy gardener, and I figured 1/2 cup of bonemeal would be enough. Should I top dress the soil with some more, work it into the first few inches and water?

Sorry for no Pics...will try and post some tomorrow when there is daylight outside.

Any suggestions? Previous experience with this sort of thing? Is my potting mix out of whack?

ha, i totally forgot about starting this thread...been too busy with work and school to take pics and upload them to my server etc. i think i answered my own question though by looking through pics of other people's peppers. apparently choco hab's tend to cup quite a bit and smooth out once the leaf gets bigger, and chinenses cup less overall once they become larger plants. in any case, i will err on the side of not adding too much fertilizer and leave them be. thanks for at least looking at this thread 76 random people...;)

Bone meal is a very slow release source of calcium and will take some time to be broken down into a usable form for the plant. A foliar application of a source of calcium would tide you over until the bone meal can supply the plant.

since the bone meal is a slow release type......... try calcium nitrate..... dissolves instantaneously in water into aqueous form....... Ca2+ are immediately available for uptake by the roots or if spritzed on the leaves

Botanicare's Cal Mag is an awesome product to correct such deficiencies. In my hydro set-ups I incorporate it into my solution at a tsp./gal. It can be easily diluted to use as a foliar spray, although uptake of these elements in this fashion is not the greatest. My new Choclate Habaneros(in soil) have a good deal of cupping and I just started to incorporate it into the feedings.

Back