• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Gotta leave town... what to do?

So, I'm leaving town to visit my mom and I've now got seedlings coming out of my ears. Fatalis and Bhuts still haven't come up, but they're all in the same heated tray under flourescents.

Since my first sprout, I've been leaving the lid off my tray to lower chances of damping off. I'm sure I can find one of my more competent friends in town to water while I'm gone, but in case they forget one night, Wuddaya think about me leaving the lid on the tray? Would certainly keep the humidity high, and lessen evapotranspiration, but I'm increasing the risk of fungal contamination.

Your thoughts?

What did you use as a seed starting substrate? if it's a sterile mix, you're probably ok.

how long you gonna be gone?

Get a mate over to help you out thats the best way of making sure all is cool....The young ones could go down quickly....but as AJ asked it depends on how long you are going to be away.

seedlings best served with plum sauce and an avocado quiche!

Water them, take the lid off, stick them under the lights and enjoy the visit. Unless you are going to be gone more than a week, the plants won't suffer, though you might from not being able to check them five times a day!

Seriously, I soak my potting soil after I sow the seeds and they don't get any water for at least a week. Even after they are up, except for the ones under HPS bulbs, they only get watered once a week. NO way do they need watered once a day.

Mike

I'll be away 5 days. I used what was on-hand at the time, which oddly enough was a fresh bag of Fafard cactus/suculent mix. Not a seed starting mix at all.

So far, it's worked like gangbusters, and my sprouts look happy as can be. However, this is admittedly my first time starting seeds, so this may bite me in the end.

I'm sure I'll get someone to give them a spray once a day, but I'm afraid once is all they'll get. I've been watering with a spray bottle that my girlfriend uses for her hair (It's what I got). Seems I read somewhere to do this so as not to overwater and dislodge seeds.

Once they sprout, can I get more heavy-handed with the H2O?

wordwiz said:
Water them, take the lid off, stick them under the lights and enjoy the visit. Unless you are going to be gone more than a week, the plants won't suffer, though you might from not being able to check them five times a day!

Seriously, I soak my potting soil after I sow the seeds and they don't get any water for at least a week. Even after they are up, except for the ones under HPS bulbs, they only get watered once a week. NO way do they need watered once a day.

Mike

Ditto.

Dale

So my once or twice a day mist is really helping my fascination with looking at my babies more than the babies themselves? Interesting...

So even if I'm starting in cactus mix, a good soak should do me for less than a week?

FiveStar said:
So my once or twice a day mist is really helping my fascination with looking at my babies more than the babies themselves? Interesting...

So even if I'm starting in cactus mix, a good soak should do me for less than a week?

So you are actually misting the seedlings every other day? Or the seed cell trays?

Dale

Mostly the seed cell trays. I've been watering the seedlings all lightly from the sprayer bottle with my thumb over the top.

Back