• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Grace's Scotch Bonnet Sauce

Grace Scotch Bonnet Sauce

gracescotchbonnetph4.jpg

This is a nice, no-thrills Scotch Bonnet sauce made by Grace Foods of Jamaica. The good folks at Grace apparently make all kinds of stuff but this is the first product of theirs I’ve tried.

Ingredients: SCOTCH BONNET PEPPERS (CAPSICUM), CANE VINEGAR, CANE SUGAR, WATER, SALT, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID

It’s pretty simple stuff. It’s got a great Scotch Bonnet flavor; they have a flavor all their own. What it doesn’t have is heat. For a Caribbean sauce this stuff is fairly mild. I’d say any of Matouk’s sauces are hotter than this.

You may notice the sugar in the ingredient list and suspect that this is a sweet sauce. That’s not really the case, at least to my pallet. The sweetness is not overt at all but way in the background.

Overall a good little modest sauce that really lets the great flavor of Scotch Bonnets shine without bringing major heat. I’ll buy this again, if I can find it.

Taste 6/10
Heat 6/10

I got a bottle of this in my fridge right now. I agree, nice flavor and not too hot. I found it in a local Canadian grocery store which is unusual for good hot-sauces. I've also tried Grace's Jamaican jerk seasoning and one of their jerk sauces which were very good and hot, especially the seasoning(paste). Great on chicken or shrimp and probably pork too.

Grace makes a good tasting sauce, you are correct. You are also correct that Matouk's has much more heat. Great review.

Josh

Back