• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grafting an albino?

I imagine if you got it to survive, it would put out the same fruit as if it were still on its own root-stock.

The fruit results of the albino genetics, the rest of the plant now just feeds the albino branch.

Albino plants are white because they lack green chlorophyll in their leaves. Since plants use chlorophyll to convert sunlight to energy (photosynthesis), this is a severe problem.

So this is your reasoning for the grafting? A source of food for a plant that cant make its own?

I feel like a while back,
I read about plants shedding damaged leaves to save energy. This seems like the most likely scenario to me.

However I think you should try it because "IF" it worked that would be awesome.

There are some albino plants that have a different gene lacking though. Some sundews are albino because they don't have red dew on them, and some redwood trees have white leaves but the bark is still fine. Personally, I think some of the white peppers might be albino for an actual pigment gene rather than having defective chloroplasts because the chloroplast is fine, but when it leaves the pods they turn white because there's no red or yellow to replace them.

cruzzfish said:
There are some albino plants that have a different gene lacking though. Some sundews are albino because they don't have red dew on them, and some redwood trees have white leaves but the bark is still fine. Personally, I think some of the white peppers might be albino for an actual pigment gene rather than having defective chloroplasts because the chloroplast is fine, but when it leaves the pods they turn white because there's no red or yellow to replace them.

Can we please keep this thread going, as I find it most interesting!

Cayennemist said:

Can we please keep this thread going, as I find it most interesting!
img_0-50316_drosera_capensis_albino_gd.png
Albino cape sundew, The dew on this thing should be bright red.
Everwhite. This guy is fed by a common root system since it grew, as sharing roots came about to let fallen trees regrow as well as anchor them better.
albino-redwood.jpg

I've got a white morph of N sanguinae, a pitcher plant, but dunno if it's because albino or just white pigment in the pitchers. Friend of mine has a pale bhut that produces lighter pods, so that might count also.  Plants don't use melanin I think, and so aren't "true" albinos, just white ones caused by lacking other pigments. 

Back