• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Grafting questions?

I was reading about grafting and it peaked my curiosity. From what I can see, you choose a plant that has a very strong/healthy root stock. Choose a plant that is very similar in stem diameter. Then you wedge them together basically (I know it's more complicated but I'm just too lazy to spell it out XD). So I had a couple follow up questions that I was hoping some of you experienced grafting pros can help me answer.

-What do you think the benefits are?

-Can you graft multiple plants onto a single plant? Let's say if I had a huge, really strong, bishops crown plant and 3 smaller super hots (reapers ghost peppers and Bahamian goats). Could I theoretically graft all three of those plants onto my bishops crown?

-does it make getting fruit out of the grafted part quicker than you would have gotten it by not grafting it?

-if you over winter it, will it produce the same peppers on the same branches of the plant next season? I was hoping to create a super pepper tree with all kinds of hot peppers that will produce on an annual basis ;) haha a man can dream

There's a lot of speculation here, just assume everything is in the ideal setting. I'm just trying to better my understanding of grafting.

-Greater productivity, faster growth. But only if the root stock is really more vigorous.

-Hypothetically yes. Probably more productive to have one of each but super cool if you get it to work.

-Can't comment.

-As long as you prune above the point at which the graft takes place.

A Spicy English Cheapskate said:
-Greater productivity, faster growth. But only if the root stock is really more vigorous.

-Hypothetically yes. Probably more productive to have one of each but super cool if you get it to work.

-Can't comment.

-As long as you prune above the point at which the graft takes place.
Thanks! This really gives me confidence in my little experiment I will be trying. The end result I'm looking for is some sort of pepper plant that's able to produce a variety of peppers :)

experience from other type of plant multi grafting can work but you have to chose varieties that have the same size (same vigor) if not the strongest eventually dominate the others
you can see lots of fruit trees that have 4 in one.

Back