food Gramdma knows best

miller-high-life-small-bottles-646.jpg

My late grandma - two dishes stand out for me, roasted pheasant with all the trimmings in winter and cold chicken curry in summer.

Grandma on the other side of the family, has never been renowned for her cooking.   

Grandma....I remember the typical turkey dinners, but nothing stands out as stellar.  I do remember my brother and I spending a few days to a week with Grandma and Grandpa a couple times and what stands out in my mind is being served cold stewed tomatoes in a small dish as part of breakfast.  :sick:   YUCK!

Now, MOM was another story.  Even though I did the :sick: when she made fried eggplant (house rules, had to take at least 2 bites...blahblahblah...I uurped it out onto the dinner plate), her homemade dinner rolls, pies, root beer, saurkraut and canned goods were epic!

Grandma rocked.

Pork chops, eggs, toast, and fresh grapefruit for any break fast. 

And on Sunday?

Usually fried chicken along with another meat like chuck roast or colbasse, 

Sometimes stuffed cabbage.

Always goolyah's.

Heavy on the paprika.

And heaps of side dishes and veggies like asparagus and fried cabbage.

Grandma lived to 101.

And she ate potato chips 'ever day.

When I was little we would visit my grandparents in Sun City, Az. My Grandma got up very early, like 5 am. I would get up with her and she would make me her special cinnamon toast with brown sugar cooked under the broiler. Just me, not my brother or parents. I can't remember any other food with them, they were farm people from Missouri, so I'm guessing meat and potatoes. To this day the smell of cinnamon and brown sugar takes me back.

Rymerpt said:
My grandma would make the best strawwberry rubarb pies.
My absolute favorite!!!!! :)
SmokenFire said:
Grandma Pearl made chicken & dumplings, split pea soup and chili.  I got all those recipes and techniques before she checked out, and my kids will too.  :)
Hahaha my grandma's name is pearl as well. :) She made great RI style chowda!!!! And fritters!!!

Back