• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grasshoppers! How do I get rid of them?!

These bastards showed up this year. They are called Onbubata (Piggyback Grasshopper) in Japanese. What's the best course of action to get rid of them? I'm armed with DE & Neem. Should I try to find anything else?

Not my picture.
202_2237onbubatta-thumb.jpg

Insecticides with permethrin in them are very effective but not around cats as it's very toxic to them, but not so much other mammals.  Unfortunately it's also toxic to bees and other pollinators so should at least be kept away from blooms.

There are also natural alternatives like products containing Nosema locustae which is a type of fungal spore.  It costs more and works much slower.  I assume it would work on that type of "grasshopper" but have never seen them before so I'm not 100% confident.

Keep your grass cut short to limit their mobility.

get a butterfly catching net and swoop it over them as they jump to escape. they will get caught in the net. I seen a guy on youtube doing that in his garden he is praxxus55712 here is the link to the video. if you don't want to watch the whole video then skip to 7:30 to see the net he is using  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGoOMsuH3c&list=UU6YgvyGnc7HBvBEVAeDnsiw

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Dave2000 said:
Insecticides with permethrin in them are very effective but not around cats as it's very toxic to them, but not so much other mammals.  Unfortunately it's also toxic to bees and other pollinators so should at least be kept away from blooms.

There are also natural alternatives like products containing Nosema locustae which is a type of fungal spore.  It costs more and works much slower.  I assume it would work on that type of "grasshopper" but have never seen them before so I'm not 100% confident.

Keep your grass cut short to limit their mobility.

Ah yeah, I have some granular pyrethrin but can't use it on the plants because they are podding right now. 

bustapepper said:
get a butterfly catching net and swoop it over them as they jump to escape. they will get caught in the net. I seen a guy on youtube doing that in his garden he is praxxus55712 here is the link to the video. if you don't want to watch the whole video then skip to 7:30 to see the net he is using  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGoOMsuH3c&list=UU6YgvyGnc7HBvBEVAeDnsiw

Ah good ole praxxus ey, I will have to check that out.

Geonerd said:
You need some Turkeys!  :)

Haha, I wish!

Back