Great Tasting Ornamental Pepper Varieties

SavinaRed said:
That fish pepper looks pretty cool. What is the flavor like ?

SmokenFire said:

I'd put it between a ripe serrano and a cayenne personally. 

That's heat level.  Green they taste kinda like hotter jalapeno.  Red ripe their more like cayennes in flavor.  I like to use them fresh in either stage, cut up into a marinade for grilled chicken or into a sauce for fish.  Fish and the Maui Purple are my two favorite ornamentals.  

I think I'm gonna order some Fish Pepper seeds the next time I order, they seem pretty neat, and can't wait to try the flavor. It seems like an amazing pepper to cook with ;)

SmokenFire said:
I've grown several ornamental varieties AaronTT.  Judging just from what I've grown/eaten I would recommend the following:

Fish Pepper - beautiful variegated foliage and peppers - starting stripey green and maturing to a deep lipstick red.  Great dehydrated and ground (cayenne like heat) and with any manner of seafood (duh).

Maui Purple - dark purplish foliage and peppers start dark purple almost black.  Skinny spikey upright pods mature to a dark brick red, medium hot, good for pickling and great for pizza flakes.  

Aji Omnicolor - smaller bushy plants, high yielding with fruits that start white then go green and orange to finally red at maturity.  Good medium heat and very versatile; use for salsas, ceviche, hot sauce, powders, etc.

I would not recommend Bulgarian Carrot, Czeck Black or Royal Black for eating.  The plants/pods are beautiful but I found then quite seedy and bitter. 

I have to disagree with your statement about the Bulgarian Carrot. It is one of my favorite peppers due to its taste, heat level, and thick walls that give it an actual crunch like a carrot. I have never had any to be bitter and have grown several batches throughout the years. I would DEFINITELY RECOMMEND the Bulgarian Carrot. Also makes a great mash. ;)

jointeffort said:

I have to disagree with your statement about the Bulgarian Carrot. It is one of my favorite peppers due to its taste, heat level, and thick walls that give it an actual crunch like a carrot. I have never had any to be bitter and have grown several batches throughout the years. I would DEFINITELY RECOMMEND the Bulgarian Carrot. Also makes a great mash. ;)

Maybe it was my conditions je - the pods on my plants were very thin walled, short, nice bright orange but very seedy and bitter tasting to me.  Or it could be a potato patahtoh thing.  One man's trash is another's treasure after all.  :)

Maybe it was my conditions je - the pods on my plants were very thin walled, short, nice bright orange but very seedy and bitter tasting to me.  Or it could be a potato patahtoh thing.  One man's trash is another's treasure after all.  :)

Could be conditions. I suggest trying to grow again just to see if there's any difference for you. :)

This is hands down my favorite ornamental... as said earlier the foliage is beautiful theyre great dry.. i have bags full of these full.. this variety here looks a bit smaller and wider at the stem than the ones i grow i too am interested..
Runescape said:
Damn...those look pretty neat...

MEN-AM09-kg_pepper2.jpg

I love the fish pepper. It is one I will continue to grow. I also did not realize it was an ornamental....

Also, I actually liked the bulgarian carrot. Other than being thick walled the flavor was great IMO

Back