• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green Cayennes...are they ripe?

I asked this question the other day in Chat, but was asked for pics, so here goes.

These are Bonnie Cayennes and the picture on the label shows some red and some green. These have been on the plant for 6-7 weeks and I am prepared to be patient, but some have started some corking and a few others have fallen off. I'm wondering if these are ripe or do I need to wait for them to turn red and will they turn red? The plants are roughly 3 feet tall and healthy.

Cayenne408.jpg

Thanks for the help!

+1: Red is ripe.

But also, some people like green pods - personal preference for me is ripe, but you may like them green. Give them a try and decide for yourself!

Okay, I was a little sketchy on them, especially since a few have started a little corking on the bottom. Thanks everyone.

Yep, and out of nowhere, the one in the picture behind the other two has started to turn red from both the bottom and top. Out of the two plants that are filled with Chiles, the one that I took a picture of is the one that started to ripen first. It must have been the flash on the camera that did it.

Back