Green Pods

So I started my season almost 2 months late and as a result I have a lot of green pods. I chalked it up to a lesson learned and cut back most of the plants preparing to overwinter. Well today Zi went to my pile of pepper debris to fill my yard debris can when I noticed several of the green pods were turning color. There are still lots of green though. I picked all the pods and am curious if anyone has any good uses for green pods? Do any of you have experience with green pods. I don't want to toss em if I don't have to.

I just pruned back my favorite Carolina Reaper plant so I can try to overwinter it. I have about two dozen green pods. I'm going to dry them and powder them just like I did with my ripe pods. Peppers can be used at any stage of ripeness. The first Reaper that I ever ate was a green one. I accidentally  pulled it off of the plant. It wasn't as hot as the ripe pods but since there was less heat there was a lot more of the flavor of the Reaper. 

Ocho Cinco said:
I just pruned back my favorite Carolina Reaper plant so I can try to overwinter it. I have about two dozen green pods. I'm going to dry them and powder them just like I did with my ripe pods. Peppers can be used at any stage of ripeness. The first Reaper that I ever ate was a green one. I accidentally  pulled it off of the plant. It wasn't as hot as the ripe pods but since there was less heat there was a lot more of the flavor of the Reaper. 
Humm so they are usable ?

Yeah. I don't see why they wouldn't be. Bell peppers and Jalapenos are picked and sold green more often then ripe ones. Many other fruits are also picked green and used.
What kind of peppers do you have?

We had an early freeze predicted so I picked every pepper from the plants, which were mostly green.  I separated every variety into paper bags to ripen.  Slow but sure they are ripening.

So yes, I would definitely save all of the green superhots to ripen.  They're in the cool basement, giving us happy surprises almost every day!

catherinew said:
We had an early freeze predicted so I picked every pepper from the plants, which were mostly green.  I separated every variety into paper bags to ripen.  Slow but sure they are ripening.

So yes, I would definitely save all of the green superhots to ripen.  They're in the cool basement, giving us happy surprises almost every day!
In a bag huh ?

Paper bags.  About 12 of them, at least.  I used a clothespin to keep the small bag (like a lunch bag) closed.  I know you can use an apple to have them ripen quicker, but I didn't want to waste a dozen or so apples.  They are still ripening in their due time.

Don't use plastic, as they need the air circulated around the peppers.  Paper bags and cardboard are great.

Good luck with the ripening.  Let us know how things work for you.

That is good to know catherinew----thanks for that bit of good news.

I am in the same boat as spany but not because I was late----our summer did not start up here till late july and then only lasted 1 week----I have virtually no ripe hot peppers with the exeption of fateliis. I have had to buy all the peppers that I wanted from here on line at THP. Thank god you guys sell them

catherinew said:
Paper bags.  About 12 of them, at least.  I used a clothespin to keep the small bag (like a lunch bag) closed.  I know you can use an apple to have them ripen quicker, but I didn't want to waste a dozen or so apples.  They are still ripening in their due time.
I was gonna put em in nursery flats and lay them out on the pick-nic table as it's supposed to be sunny this week

Got about 50 peach bhuts that are not going to turn in time.  Going to try to cover the plant, but it might be too late to stretch any more out of the season.  Going to be brown bagging them if I have to.  Plenty of apple trees here, so I am doing the apple trick.  Got some other supers already in bags.

They will ripen just like a tomato will ripen.

Spanky - be careful if you put the peppers in full sun as they might get some sunscald.

Bodeen - good analogy with ripening peppers and tomatoes. 

Very frustrating having to pick unripe peppers when you've worked hard for your harvest.  The paper bag/box does work, and the flavor/heat isn't quite as intense as a ripe pepper, but it's very close. 

I just smoked and powdered some green pods (fatalii, habs, Nards, Limons, brains) with good results. The bitterness is masked by the smoke and I like the flavor profile. It is so different that I will be adding it to many upcoming dishes. Give it a try, you may enjoy it.

Back