• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green Variety - When are they ripe?

Not talking green chili.  Most people use that term to mean something not yet completely ripe.  Talking about variety that finish green.  Trying to figure out if there is a way to tell when they are ripe.  I think I have Green Moruga nailed.  It seems to be ripe when it starts to get a hint of yellow.

By ripe, I mean it looses its green chili flavor.  You know, what ever it is in not so ripe chili that give them that distinct taste we call green.  When I eat a green morugs before that hint of yellow, it has the green chili taste.  Let it go long enough that you get a we bit yellow green tint, it doesnt have so much of that green chili taste.

But other variety dont seem ot have that hint.  Maybe I a not waiting long enough.  I have some lemon lime scorpion new this year.  Came from a seed train.  Maybe I am being impatient, but thus far no hint of yellow to tell me they are ripe.  Since it is a new variety to me, I am going to let some go all the way to rot to figure it out.  But if there is some sort of hint to tell when green are ready, that would be a real help.

With green tomato, I do the squeeze test.  Cant really do that with peppers.  Even ripe they seem to have the same feel.

Ideas?

When it comes to green chiles, I always have to be extremely observant to their progress and eat a few at different stages until I know what to look for.  They may not go any color other than green before starting to rot, but they are almost guaranteed to go different shades of green during the process.  The key is picking up on the shade changes or the calyx / pod changes of each strain that indicate they're done.  I've had one before (Romy6's Green Hornet, maybe) that went mustard or got a tiny hint of yellow for others when ripe.  Mine didn't do that and instead went a slightly darker shade of green that was very easy to recognize once I knew what to look for.

Back