Greetings chile-folk!

Hello, my name is Carlton. I hail from the southernmost reaches of the greatest state in the entire U.S.A.! Some people have tried to tell me that 200 miles south of Madison is actually Illinois, but that's  just a point of view I choose not to embrace.  :snooty:   :D
     I've been lurking here for about two years now (about as long as I've been growing peppers), and I figured I should stop just parisitizing this wonderful community like an aphid and start contributing like a symbiotic mycorrhizal fungus. I can attribute large chunk of my pepper growing skill set to you fine people. But more important, I feel, is the inspiration I take from all of you to try new things in the garden and in the kitchen.
     I'm really looking forward to becoming part of your community. There aren't many places on the web who so wholeheartedly embrace so many of my passions: eating awesome food, gardening, cooking awesome food, plant biology, capsaicin, cooking and eating awesome food while sh*thammered... It's good to be home!  :party:
     Now I just have to figure out how to post pics. Somehow I've gotten the impression that they're pretty important to you people...  :lol:

I would not call this a community but a big family of pepper lovers who are some of the best people on the world wide web
welcome to the forum......................................

Welcome Carlton, from the SF Bay Area!

:cheers:

images-2.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics to this forum. Hopefully this worked...

If so, that's a shot of the raised beds I put in this spring - where the majority of my pepper plants live. If not, it's just a bunch of gibberish...

Shoot. Didn't work. Does anyone know if there are instructions on this site for how to embed images from photobucket? Is there a different website besides photobucket that I should be using?

Nevermind. Just found the tutorial.

IMG_0012_zpsfeda9162.jpg

mlh5953 said:
Nice garden! I really like the potted cacti.
     Thanks, Michael. I have several Trichocereus spp. that I've been growing for the last five years or so. I've heard it's a real challenge to get them to flower in captivity - so I pretty much have made that my goal! 

IMG_1615_zps57987140.jpg

PepperDaddler said:
Pics?

600x600.jpg

Holy crap. That pic of Mr. Banks made my day! I can't help laughing every time I look at it. I was wondering if I was gonna find some weird, obscure pic from you in my intro thread this morning. Well done!

Nice cacti Carlton!  I have an old battle scarred Trichocereus myself.  It's bloomed (night bloomer!) 4 or 5 times in the 20 something years I've had it, I've attached pics of the last time it flowered, 2 years ago.

aaa318.jpg
aaa311.jpg
aaa316.jpg

Wustenfuchs said:
     Wow, man! That is somethin' else! Thanks for posting those gorgeous pics. I've got so many questions for you now...
     What species is that? (It seems to have the form of a bridgesii, but with shorter spines.) Is it in a container or in the ground? Do you give it any ferts? Is there any advice in general you could give to me (sone 5b) to encourage flowering?
And lastly, if you ever want to trade cuttings, I have T. pachanoi, T. bridgesii and T. macrogonus. All are healthy and a few might benefit from a trim at the end of this season. (They are getting a little top-heavy and tend to blow over in thunderstorms.)

One more thing. It looks like somebody took a huge bite out of yours - is THAT the trick to flowering?  :shh:  :D

dash 2 said:
     Wow, man! That is somethin' else! Thanks for posting those gorgeous pics. I've got so many questions for you now...
     What species is that? (It seems to have the form of a bridgesii, but with shorter spines.) Is it in a container or in the ground? Do you give it any ferts? Is there any advice in general you could give to me (sone 5b) to encourage flowering?
And lastly, if you ever want to trade cuttings, I have T. pachanoi, T. bridgesii and T. macrogonus. All are healthy and a few might benefit from a trim at the end of this season. (They are getting a little top-heavy and tend to blow over in thunderstorms.)

One more thing. It looks like somebody took a huge bite out of yours - is THAT the trick to flowering?  :shh:  :D
I don't remember the heritage but this one is a cross of T. pachanoi and another Trichocereus species.  The munch mark was courtesy of my (then) 6 or 7 year old son wielding some unknown  garden implement.

I really don't do much for it.  I'll toss a handful of organic tomato ferts into the container maybe twice a year and give it a shot of seaweed extract (kelp) a couple of times a year.  It seems to really appreciate water during the Spring/Summer growing period- I treat it like my peppers, watering whenever the soil is nearly dry.  The plant is currently at my daughter in law's house, when I figure out how to pick it up I'll be repotting it.  I'll see if I can find you a nice piece.

Many years ago, when I  was living in SoCal,  I planted a small T. pachanoi in my backyard.  It grew into a huge multiple branched plant 7 to 8 feet tall. Early one morning my neighbor's goats got into my yard and ate the whole thing to the ground  :shocked:.  All I can say is I hope they enjoyed what must have been an awesome and eventful day!  :D

tumblr_mp1sbq0yKW1rc0h5zo1_500.jpg

I'm right there with you on all of your thoughts of how it's nice to have people interested in what I am with Peppers, food and BBQing.

Welcome from Upstate New York!

Back