• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grocery Store Dried Chiltepin

I had read that grocery store Chiltepins are air dried. Being I have several bags, just thought I would try to see if they would germinate.  Has anyone tried this and if so with what success?  Thanks 

I have tried they are viable dont know about air dried as the germination wasn't 100% sow more than you need and cut back the ones you don't want

I oven dried a bunch of my seeds, yup didn't know that it was a bad idea.

Air dried a second batch but I was curious and threw a bunch of the cooked seed in a zip with paper towel and I'd say around 60% sprouted within a week.

I agree with Nightshade, just try a bunch and use the strongest!

I'm trying some of a different variety myself right now. Put 40 in with the hope of keeping 1 maybe 2 depending on the rest of the grow list.

I've tried with the Pequin. Had more germination than I ever need. Not sure on percentage but it was most if not all.

Give it a shot and to dry these in a oven is overkill. I highly doubt they used an oven to dry. When I took some off my plant the pods dried in about 2-3 days or less without any effort.

-Walter

Back